Following the University of Waterloo's leadership in experiential learning, the Fine Arts department has embedded professional practice and experiential learning opportunities within our program.
- Course options such as Topics in Fine Arts Experiential Learning (FINE 243 / 343) and Fine Arts Internship (FINE 344) involve placements with artists, local galleries and various arts initiatives.
- As part of the visiting artists program artists, curators, critics and scholars discuss their careers.
- Undergraduate students can apply to the Arts & Business Co-op program at the University of Waterloo and major in Fine Arts. A range of business courses and co-op placements complement students’ studies in Fine Arts Studio and Visual Culture.
- The Fine Arts department hosts workshops on specialized techniques, professional writing, grant applications, and more.
- Course trips to destinations in Europe and shorter excursions to New York, Chicago, Montreal and elsewhere immerse students in other cultures.
- Graduate students take part in the Keith and Win Shantz International Research Scholarship in which students work with established artists anywhere in the world, learning the business aspects of working and living as an artist.
- Fine Arts students acquire the skills to professionally photograph, document, and write about their art.