We're still here to help!
Contact us to get research help, sign into Omni, the Library's catalogue, to access online resources and request book pickup or see below for more information about research guides, library resources and other tools to support your research and coursework.
The Library has research guides for all subjects to help get you find curated resources to support your coursework and research.
Check out these research guides we've created for architecture students:
The Library's databases are organized and searchable collections of information such as articles, newspapers, and datasets. Once you find an appropriate database, get tips on finding journal articles on a topic.
Log in to get access from anywhere.
Try starting with these databases:
- Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals: Our first choice for searching citations to periodicals published worldwide on archaeology, city planning, interior design, historic preservation and architecture, then click "Get it! @ Waterloo" to search for the article in Omni, the Library's catalogue.
- ARTstor: Collection of images of architecture, painting, sculpture, photography, decorative art, design, and various forms of visual culture. Learn how to get started with ARTstor.
- BuildingGreen: Information to help building-industry professionals and policy makers improve the environmental performance, and reduce adverse impacts of buildings.
- Building Types Online (BTO): Provides architectural drawings, photographs, articles and case studies of modernist and contemporary built works.
- Canada Green Building Council: While not a library database, this website lists Canadian green building case studies, industry job postings, LEED resources and other resources for sustainable architecture.
- Pidgeon Digital: A collection of historical and recent talks given by some of the world's most important architectural professionals. Pidgeon Digital is offering temporary access to member institutions during COVID-19 closures.
- Royal Institute of British Architects Library catalogue (RIBA Index): Find details about holdings (periodicals, books, and audio visual materials) of the Royal Institute of British Architects Library.
We offer a variety of online reference sources, including dictionaries, encyclopedia and more.
Course reserves is a platform that collaborates with professors to make course readings widely available to students in either print or online formats.
There are many reference management software options available. The most popular among our students and researchers is RefWorks is a web-based citation and bibliography tool available to Waterloo students, faculty, staff and alumni.
- create and organize a personal online database of references
- format references for bibliographies in your required citation style
- import references from a variety of databases, including Omni, our catalogue
Need assistance? Get started with RefWorks.
The assignment planner splits research and writing tasks into efficient stages to meet your specific deadlines.
Online Learning Object Repository (OLOR)
The libraries online learning object repository helps students develop professional skills in literacy and research.
If you have any questions about library resources, the ask us page allows you to browse FAQ, email, text, and directly contact a subject librarian. You can also chat with library staff during virtual reference hours using the chat function.