PD3: Communication focuses on the nature and function of communication in the workplace. The style and medium of communication used on the job can change quickly as coworkers move between casual conversations, email threads, and formal meetings in the space of just a few minutes. What does it mean to be a great communicator in each of those arenas? Students who take PD3 are better equipped to answer that question.
What do PD3 students do?
- Learn about the theory behind effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication
- Work through a simulation that includes scenarios built around communication dilemmas
- Practice giving thoughtful feedback to a colleague and asking for actionable feedback from their supervisor
- Evaluate the impact of bias on communication in the workplace
- Reflect on their personal communication style
If you've completed PD3 and want to feature the course on your résumé, you're welcome to use and adapt the following bullet points in a "Professional Development" or "Relevant Courses" section:
- Applied rhetorical theory to interpersonal workplace communications/conversations/meetings/emails/presentations to meet different audiences' needs
- Responded to different workplace situations such as conversations/progress updates/meetings through an interactive simulation and reflected on the outcome
- Identified preferred communication method in order to know when to use or avoid it
- Provided thoughtful and honest feedback, and responded respectfully to feedback received, in a workplace scenario
How are PD3 students graded?
PD3 students complete a series of quizzes and exercises over the course of the term. To pass the course, students must earn an overall grade of 50% or higher. PD3 also uses a “late days” system to give students some flexibility in terms of working pace. Students can use up to three late days over the course of the term to submit their assessments late without any required justification.
If you have a question about grading in PD3, contact the course team using the information in the sidebar.