Types of spending

Principal Investigators (PIs) have overall responsibility for the management of their research funds; they must ensure that all expenditures comply with University of Waterloo policies and sponsor requirements.  

PIs are responsible for monitoring all financial transactions relating to their research projects. Key eligibility information for some of the most common research sponsors and grants can be found on the  expense eligibility of common sponsors page.

The most common types of expenditures on research accounts are: