University of Waterloo
Engineering 5 (E5), 6th Floor
Phone: 519-888-4567 ext.32600
The long-term research goal of the Hearing Lab is to develop advanced devices and methods for diagnosis and treatment of hearing loss and other auditory pathologies. Such work requires discoveries about the processes involved in hearing as well as developing innovative engineering solutions. To serve these requirements, we use and advance knowledge in fields such as biomechanics, solid and fluid mechanics, acoustics, system identification and hearing physiology. The research portfolio of the Hearing Lab includes device development, advanced acoustic and vibration measurements and analysis in animal and human ears supplemented with analytical and computational modelling.
Computational Metastasis Lab
Computational Metastasis Lab is focused on developing predictive tools that enable personalized cancer treatments. The lab uses advanced computational mechanics algorithms in conjunction with clinical image processing in creation of the predictive tools. We measure data in vitro and in vivo in human and animals to validate our mathematical models of tumor-cell circulation, intravasation and extravasation using advanced optical methods and using clinical modalities.
We are looking for graduate students with strong background in microfabrication, image processing or CFD, computational solid mechanics and fluid-structure interaction. Following experience and knowledge are highly favourable: lattice-Boltzmann method, finite-element method, 3-D model reconstruction using serial images, image processing algorithms, Fortran, C and Python programming.
Canadian and permanent resident students and students with funding are strongly encouraged to apply.
If interested, please send me an email summarizing your education, background and interests along with your CV and transcripts.
- Hearing Science
- Auditory Mechanics
- Medical Devices
- Hearing implants
- Diganostic tools
- Computational Fluid and Solid Mechanics
- Physiological measurements and modelling
- Cancer mechanics
- Computational Oncology
- 2017, Other, Postdoctoral Fellowship, Hearing Science and Technology, Otolaryngology, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
- 2014, Doctorate, Biomedical Engineering, McGill University
- 2000, Master of Applied Science, Mechanical Enginnering, Isfahan University of Technology
- 1997, Bachelor of Applied Science, Mechanical Enginnering, University of Tehran
- BME 252 - Linear Signals and Systems
- Taught in 2018, 2019
- Cheng, J. T., Maftoon, N., Guignard, J., Ravicz, M. E., & Rosowski, J., Tympanic membrane surface motions in forward and reverse middle ear transmissions, The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 145(1), 2019, 272 - 291
- Motallebzadeh, Hamid and Maftoon, Nima and Pitaro, Jacob and Funnell, W. Robert J. and Daniel, Sam J., Fluid-Structure Finite-Element Modelling and Clinical Measurement of the Wideband Acoustic Input Admittance of the Newborn Ear Canal and Middle Ear, Journal of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology, 18(5), 2017, 671 - 686
- Motallebzadeh, Hamid and Maftoon, Nima and Pitaro, Jacob and Funnell, W. Robert J. and Daniel, Sam J., Finite-Element Modelling of the Acoustic Input Admittance of the Newborn Ear Canal and Middle Ear, Journal of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology, 18(1), 2016, 25 - 48
- Maftoon, Nima and Funnell, W. Robert J. and Daniel, Sam J. and Decraemer, Willem F., Finite-Element Modelling of the Response of the Gerbil Middle Ear to Sound, Journal of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology, 16(5), 2015, 547 - 567
- Keshavarz-Motamed, Zahra and Garcia, Julio and Gaillard, Emmanuel and Maftoon, Nima and Labbio, Giuseppe Di and Cloutier, Guy and Kadem, Lyes, Effect of coarctation of the aorta and bicuspid aortic valve on flow dynamics and turbulence in the aorta using particle image velocimetry, Experiments in Fluids, 55(3), 2014, 1 - 16
- Maftoon, Nima and Funnell, W. Robert J. and Daniel, Sam J. and Decraemer, Willem F., Effect of Opening Middle-Ear Cavity on Vibrations of Gerbil Tympanic Membrane, Journal of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology, 15(3), 2014, 319 - 334
- Maftoon, Nima and Funnell, W. Robert J. and Daniel, Sam J. and Decraemer, Willem F., Experimental Study of Vibrations of Gerbil Tympanic Membrane with Closed Middle Ear Cavity, Journal of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology, 14(4), 2013, 467 - 481
- Funnell, W. Robert J. and Maftoon, Nima and Decraemer, Wilem F., Modeling of Middle-Ear Mechanics, The Middle Ear - Science, Otosurgery, and Technology, Puria, Sunil and Fay, Richard R. and Popper, Arthur N., , 39 manuscript pages