If you have a disability that prevents you from reading standard print or standard electronic text, we will assist you by arranging for you to receive your materials in the appropriate alternative format.
The publishers require that you purchase your textbooks before we can place requests. Please provide a copy of your sales receipt, which must be from a bookstore or online source such as Amazon. If a textbook is unavailable from institutional suppliers, arrangements can be made through AccessAbility Services to have it transcribed. If you purchased used textbooks and do not have a sales receipt, please bring in your textbook(s) for in-house production.
It can take 2 to 4 weeks to receive a textbook in alternative format, so request your materials early.
Please Note: You will be asked to complete the Alternate Format Use Student Agreement form.
If the book you require is a library book and it's only available in print you can search for a digitized copy through the Ontario Council of University Libraries' Accessible Content E-Portal (ACE). Books in this repository are subject to Canadian copyright law and are made available for use to persons with disabilities listed under section 32 of the Canadian Copyright Act.
You can also request to have a book owned by the University of Waterloo scanned and added to the repository.
To use the ACE repository you require a unique password/TOKEN which can be issued to you through Library Accessibility Services.
How to request textbooks
- Log into AccessAbility Services’ online system: uwaterloo.ca/accessability-services
- Request your academic accommodations by following the steps outlined in the Term Check-in instruction booklet
- Go to ‘My Accommodations’ and select ‘Alternative Formats’
- Select your book(s) for each class that require Alternative Formats
- Confirm that your book(s) request was received by selecting ‘Alternative Formats’ and reviewing the list of book(s) currently being processed
- Review the ‘Alternative Formats’ page regularly for status updates, action items, and links to download materials
- Follow copyright restrictions placed on the use of your alternate format materials. You agree not to share the alternate format material with anyone else. Due to copyright laws, the materials transcribed are for your use only.
- Return materials promptly at the end of each semester where indicated.
- Any fines charged by suppliers for lost, damaged or overdue materials will be passed on to the user.
- We endeavour to provide students with their alternative format textbooks in a timely fashion.
- However, due to factors beyond our control (e.g., late requests, availability of texts, unexpected workload, or the schedule of publishers and external transcription suppliers), we cannot guarantee that students will receive alternative format materials within the timelines required for their courses.
- If this situation occurs, please contact Haley Morrison for alternate support.
To request courseware
Contact Haley Morrison regarding alternative format for courseware.