Your orientation schedule will show events for all first-year engineering students as well as events specifically for architectural engineering students. You are strongly encouraged to attend ALL these events as they will help you become familiar with your residence and the campus, as well as your program.
- Tues, Sept 3 @ 12:00pm in Lev 2, E7: Orientation Lunch with Civil, Environmental & Geological Engineering students
- Tues, Sept 3 @ 1:15pm outside E7: Visit to Cambridge School of Architecture (buses leave outside E7 at 1:15pm and return ~5pm)
- Thurs, Sept 5 @ 8:30am in E7-2409: Design Day 1*
- Fri, Sept 6 @ 8:30am in E7-2409: Design Day 2*
You will be engaged in hands-on experiential learning and engineering design from your first day of classes. This two-day design event will take place instead of scheduled classes, on Sept 5-6. Working within a team, you will need to design and construct a piece of furniture out of cardboard and hydrostone. Your final design and construction will be pitched before a panel of judges on the second day with prizes for the winning team.
Please be ready to start at 8:30 am in E7 2409.
IMPORTANT: in order to attend the Design Days, you must have the following:
- A completed WHMIS training certificate
- Closed-toed shoes
You have been granted early access to LEARN in order to complete the WHMIS training prior to Orientation Week.
Training must be completed by 3pm on Sept 4, 2019
- Got to https://uwaterloo.ca/safety-office/training/student-safety-orientation-whmis and register to take the course
- Complete the training, ensuring that you go all the way to the end of the course to the screen where your certificate of completion appears. If you exit the training before this, the system will not register that you have completed the training.
- Email a screenshot of your certificate to Eleanor Clarke by 3pm on Sept 4, 2019.