FAQ's for new graduate students

Where can I get my office key?

See the graduate co-ordinator in MC 5116 for your office assignment and key permit. Take the permit to Key Control in the General Services Complex (GSC) to get your key.

What do I need to bring on my first day?

  • A void blank cheque, or bank information, from a Canadian bank account (Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC), Toronto-Dominion Bank (TD), etc.)
  • Your Social Insurance Number (SIN). Information on obtaining a SIN can be found at Service Canada.
  • Your Student Visa certificate, if you are a Visa student.

When do I receive my salary?

Your salary will be deposited directly to your bank account on the last Friday of each month.

There will be two Payroll sign-up sessions at the beginning of term. You will be required to supply a void blank cheque when you sign up. Dates and times to be decided.

How do I register to courses?

Sign onto Quest to register for courses.

How do I obtain a WatCard?

Information on obtaining a Watcard can be found at WatCard Questions and Answers

How do I obtain a computer account?

Instructions on how to obtain your computer account can be found at  Math Faculty Computing Facility (MFCF) graduate support (Note: you must pay your fees first.)

How do I pay my fees?

For instructions on paying your fees and University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) visit the Finance Student Accounts website.

Where is the Combinatorics and Optimization (C&O) graduate student seminar held?

This seminar time changes from term to term.

How is my supervisor chosen?

Incoming students are matched to supervisors based on their stated interests on their applications, and on the availability of supervisors.  However, some students do change supervisors after joining the program, as their interests change. Students wishing to explore this possibility should contact the graduate chair.

Are changes possible to my degree requirements?

The requirements for the Masters and PhD programs are detailed here. However, in some special circumstances students may propose modifications to their degree requirements.  This is done via petition to the C&O Graduate Committee. Students should contact the Graduate Coordinator for details.

In particular, PhD students who completed an MMath degree in C&O can normally use courses taken during their MMath to satisfy breadth requirements for their PhD program. For example, the two CO core courses taken for the MMath can reduce the required four CO core courses for PhD to just two.  Note however, that a course can not count towards the total number of courses required for both the MMath and PhD degrees.