Dept of Earth & Environmental Sciences
Centre for Environmental and Information Technology (EIT)
200 University Ave. W
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1
Phone: (519) 888-4567
The Farvolden Lecture Series, hosted by the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Waterloo, was initiated in 1996 as an annual celebration in honour of Dr. Robert N. Farvolden (photo). The Lecture Series fosters interaction and communication between the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, the alumni of the hydrogeology program and the groundwater community at large.
2016 Farvolden Lecture
Friday, October 21, 2016 at 2:00 pm in the Humanities Theatre, Hagey Hall, University of Waterloo
Roger Woeller MSc, P.Geo., Chief Executive Officer of BluMetric Environmental
The Evolution of the Water Business from Resource Exploitation to Resource Recovery - The Challenge
A reception in the first floor foyer of EIT will follow. Come meet with alumni and friends!
2016 Farvolden Research Symposium
Friday, October 21, 2016 from 9:00 am to 1:30 pm in DC 1302
Cost: $100 general; students $15 (includes light lunch)
Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. DC 1301. More information including registration, program and speaker abstracts.
Dr. Christina Smeaton, Research Scientist, Earth and Environmental Sciences, Ecohydrology Research Group, University of Waterloo. Living on the energetic edge: Predicting microbial growth in low energy environments.
Prof. Nandita Basu, Assistant Professor, Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences and Department of Civil Engineering. Down Under: The Critical Role of the Subsurface in Controlling Surface Water Pollution.
Plus Three-minute Thesis presentations by graduate students Elaine Secord, Sean Morrison, Shawn Scott.
Past Farvolden Lecturers
- David Rudolph, Professor, Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Waterloo (2015)
- Peter Fritz, Scientific and Founding Director of Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research UFZ, Leipzig, Germany (2014)
- Jim F. Barker, Professor Emeritus Earth and Environmental Sciences University of Waterloo (2013)
- Andre Beland, Vice-President of Engineering and Construction (Retired) SNC-Lavalin Inc., Libya (2012)
- Robert W. Gillham, Distinguished Professor Emeritus, University of Waterloo Executive Director, Water Institute University of Waterloo (2011)
- Anthony D. Daus, AMEC Geomatrix, Newport Beach, CA (2010)
- John A. Cherry, Distinguished Professor Emeritus, University of Waterloo Adjunct Professor, University of Guelph (2009)
- Richard (Dick) Jackson, Intera Engineering, Heidelberg, ON (2008)
- John (Jack) Sharp, Department of Geological Sciences University of Texas at Austin (2007)
- Garth van der Kamp, Environment Canada (2006)
- Geog Teutsch Helmholtz, Helmholtz Centre For Environmental Research, Leipzig, Germany (2005)
- John Bredehoeft, The Hydrodynamics Group, Sausalito, CA (2004)
- Mary Anderson, Emeritus Professor Department of Geoscience University of Wisconsin-Madison (2003)
- Leonard Konikow, US Geological Survey, Reston, VA (2002)