Dept of Earth & Environmental Sciences
Centre for Environmental and Information Technology (EIT)
200 University Ave. W
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1
Phone: (519) 888-4567
International Lecturer, Water Sciences
Location: EIT 1002
Phone: 519-888-4567, ext. 38674
Madeline (Maddy) Rosamond is interested in improving undergraduate learning and teaching by combining experiential learning and rigorous analytical techniques. Her research area is biogeochemical cycling in streams and rivers, including examining greenhouse gases and stable isotope analyses of nitrogen compounds.
- Nitrogen cycling in streams and rivers, including use of natural stable isotope tracers
- Nitrous oxide and methane emissions and cycling in freshwaters
- Statistical analyses of large water quality datasets
- Phosphorus export from agricultural catchments
- Mathematically rigorous methods for selecting field sites
Maddy's research focuses on nutrient cycling in streams in rivers. This includes controls on greenhouse gas production and emission in rivers, stable isotopic methods for determining the fate of nitrate in freshwater, and phosphorous losses through streams in agricultural landscapes. She has also examined statistical relationships between land use and nutrient losses across landscapes, and has recently been examining seasonal trends in nutrient cycling and methods for selecting field sites.
- 2014 W.B. Pearson Medal for Most Creative PhD Thesis in Earth Sciences
- 2009-2011: NSERC Alexander Graham Bell Canadian Graduate Scholarship - Doctoral.
- 2010: NSERC Summer Fellowship in Japan.
- 2008-2009: Ontario Graduate Scholarship
- 2006-2008: Postgraduate Scholarship - Masters
- BIOL 462 - Applied Wetland Science
- Taught in 2019, 2020, 2022
- EARTH 121 - Introductory Earth Sciences
- Taught in 2020, 2021, 2023
- EARTH 122 - Introductory Environmental Sciences
- Taught in 2019, 2020, 2021, 2023
- EARTH 123 - Introductory Hydrology
- Taught in 2020, 2022
- EARTH 221 - Introductory Geochemistry
- Taught in 2019, 2023
- EARTH 358 - Earth System Science
- Taught in 2020
- EARTH 444 - Applied Wetland Science
- Taught in 2019, 2020, 2022
* Only courses taught in the past 5 years are displayed.
- Rosamond, M.S., Wellen, C., Yousif, M.A., Kaltenecker, G., Thomas, J.L., Joosse, P.J., Feisthauer, N.C., Taylor, W.D., Mohamed, M.N., 2018. Representing a large region with few sites: The Quality Index approach for field studies. Science of the Total Environment. 633, 600–607. doi:10.1016/J.SCITOTENV.2018.03.113
- Venkiteswaran, J.J.; Rosamond, M.S.; Schiff, S.L. 2014. Non-linear responses of riverine N2O to oxygen and temperature. Environmental Science & Technology 48(3): 1566–1573. DOI 10.1021/es500069j.
- Rosamond, M.S.; Thuss, S.J.; Schiff, S.L. 2012 Dependence of riverine nitrous oxide emissions on dissolved oxygen levels. Nature Geoscience 5(10): 715-718. DOI 10.1038/NGEO1556.
- Rosamond, M.S.; Thuss, S.J.; Schiff, S.L. 2011. Coupled cycles of dissolved oxygen and nitrous oxide in rivers along a trophic gradient in southern Ontario, Canada. Journal of Environmental Quality 40: 256-270. DOI 10.2134/jeq2010.0009