For International students

About the award

Student preforming experiment in cleanroom

Undergraduate Research Awards (URA) applications are due Tuesday, January 2, 2024. References are due Monday, January 8, 2024.

You can stay at IQC as a summer URA any time between May 1 and August 30, 2024 but you are required to stay a minimum of ten weeks. You should decide on your start and end dates with your supervisor.


What is the deadline to apply?

Applications are due Tuesday, January 2, 2024. References are due Monday, January 8, 2024. We will not contact your reference until you submit your completed application.

How long can I stay at IQC for my URA?

URAs need to be a minimum of ten weeks long. All URAs need to finish by Friday, August 30, 2024. Start dates depend on your supervisor’s availability and when you have all the proper documentation. URAs can start as early as May 1.

Will I be paid?

Yes. URAs are paid a salary that is contingent on funding and decided on by their supervisor. Salaries will be sent in the URA offer letter.

Is travel funding available?

Yes. Funding can be requested on the URA application. You are responsible to book and pay for your own travel in advance. You will not be reimbursed until you return to your home institute.

Do I pay taxes on my award?

Yes. Your award is subject to a 15% deduction of Canadian tax. Once you return to your home institute you can file to reclaim the money.

Do I need health insurance?

Yes. Participation in the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is mandatory for anyone who is visiting the University of Waterloo and is not eligible for Ontario Health Insurance. The cost of the plan can be deducted from your award amount. 

Do I need a work permit?

No. International student will come to Canada under the Global Skills Strategy program. Even though you are exempt from a work permit it is your responsibility to make sure you can enter Canada. You may need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) depending on your citizenship.