In viewing the history of any YWCA it is important to remember that it was not just an organized group of women--the YWCA also represented a "place." Physical premises would attract local women and thus become an important factor in their lives.
The Berlin YWCA occupied a series of rented premises on Frederick and Queen Streets which by 1911 were found to be unsuitable for the very active group. In July 1912 a vigorous fund-raising campaign was begun to build a new building. This first major fund-raising campaign was a portent of things to come--YWCA Boards were to be heavily dependent on public support and "raising money" became, and still is, a significant Board activity.