Founded in 2011 at the University of Toronto, The Operations Research Challenge (TORCH) is a free, one-day contest designed to introduce high school students to Operations Research, a field that tackles many of today's complex decision-making problems through the use of engineering, computer science, and mathematics.
TORCH 2018 will be held on March 17, 2018 at the University of Waterloo with over $1000 in prizes.
Register before March 5, 2018!
How to register
TORCH participants must be registered by a custodial parent or legal guardian, and have that person listed as the “Primary Parent” on the participant's Welcome Package and Medical Form. We are unable to accept registrations that are not completed by a participant's custodial parent or legal guardian.
The TORCH registration process includes an online portion, which must be filled in prior to acceptance and a paper portion, to be submitted in-person, the day of the competition. A participant's status is changed to registered once they have:
(1) Applied online
- Online Application for TORCH Waterloo. Here we collect your email, dietary preferences, and other pre-event details that will help us ensure we have prepared just for you!
(2) Received an acceptance email from firstname.lastname@example.org
(3) Handed the paper forms below to a TORCH volunteer during registration on the morning of the competition. Any participant that fails to provide these forms on the day of the competition will be disqualified from the event and requested to vacate University of Waterloo property.
- Please print, read, and fill out the necessary portions of the TORCH Welcome Package.
- If medication needs to be administered during the event, fill out the Medical Authorization Form, which is also linked to on the 5th page of the package.
Please note that space is limited and the number of applicants may exceed the spaces available. Participants will be notified via email if they have a space reserved on a rolling basis. The TORCH selection committee provides no guarantees about the selection process, but will aim to work on a first-come first-serve basis, so please fill out the online application as soon as possible. If a participant receives a confirmation by email, but can no longer make it to the competition, notifying us at email@example.com will allow us to accept another student and will be greatly appreciated.
We intend on making our program accessible to all who are interested. If you have any questions or concerns about the event, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. TORCH 2018 will be held on March 17, 2018.