OD (SUNY), MSc (SUNY), FAAO
Telephone: (519) 888-4567 x49352
Fax: (519) 884-2727
Office: OPT 157
- Public Health - access to care and healthcare system efficiency
- Telehealth - remote delivery of healthcare locally and globally
- Health Informatics – use of AI and machine learning to optimize the diagnosis and management of ocular disease
- Ocular Disease & Ophthalmic Imaging
- Interprofessional Education and Collaboration
Dr. Nadine Furtado completed her undergraduate studies at McGill University. She then earned a Doctor of Optometry and a Master of Science in Vision Science from the State University of New York (SUNY) College of Optometry. Following graduation, she completed a residency in Ocular Disease and Primary Care at the Veterans Affairs (VA) Hudson Valley Healthcare System. She is currently an Associate Clinical Professor at the University of Waterloo School of Optometry and Vision Science where she is Head of the Ocular Disease and Imaging Service.
Dr. Furtado’s areas of research interest include public health, health informatics, telehealth and ocular disease. She is an active member of the Ontario Association of Optometrists (OAO) and a Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry (FAAO). She is also involved with Special Olympics Ontario as a Clinical Director and is a member of the Board of Directors of the Vision Institute of Canada. Dr. Furtado travels twice a year to Jamaica with the Eye Health Institute to provide eye care to underserved communities.