Our PhD in Applied Philosophy is a new program that focuses on engaging with and reflecting on real, practical situations and problems. For more information, see our flyer.
Philosophers in our department value engagement with scholars in other fields such as the natural and social sciences, history, mathematics, and engineering. We find these interactions generate novel perspectives on philosophical problems and enrich our contributions to philosophical debate.
Several faculty members in our department are affiliated with other research programs and institutes:
- Shannon Dea: Member, Women's Studies Program.
- Heather Douglas: Balsillie School of International Affairs Professor and Convenor of the Science and Health Policy Research Cluster; Associate Director of Waterloo Institute for Sustainable Energy; Science Technology, and Society Teaching Group Coordinator; and AAAS fellow.
- Chris Eliasmith: joint appointment with the UWaterloo Department of Systems Design Engineering; cross-appointed to the School of Computer Science; and director of the Centre for Theoretical Neuroscience.
- Carla Fehr is the Chair of the Status of Women and Equity Committee (Faculty Association, University of Waterloo), Director of the Association for Feminist Epistemologies, Methodologies, Metaphysics, and Science Studies (FEMMSS), Associate Director of the American Philosophical Association Committee on the Status of Women Site Visit Program, and the Editor of the Feminist Philosophy Quarterly
- Jacqueline Feke: cross-appointed to the Department of Classical Studies.
- Doreen Fraser: Affiliate Member, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics; and Member, Rotman Institute of Philosophy.
- Katy Fulfer: Member, Women's Studies Program.
- Brian Orend:Balsillie School of International Affairs; The Strategic Cyber-Deterrence Research Initiative (Oxford University); The War Crimes Network (Oxford University)
- John Turri: Member, College of the Royal Society of Canada; member of the Cognitive Science Program.
- Steve Weinstein: Cross-appointed with Physics; affiliate of Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics.