Racist and sexist language, diversifying academia, implicit bias, pragmatics, deception
Areas of graduate supervision
- most areas of analytic feminist philosophy
- implicit bias
- philosophy of race
- social and political
- philosophy of language
I'm also working
I continue to
- with Michael Brownstein, eds.) Implicit Bias and Philosophy Volume I: Metaphysics and Epistemology, Oxford University Press 2016.
- (with Michael Brownstein, eds.) Implicit Bias and Philosophy Volume II: Moral Responsibility, Structural Injustice, and Ethics, Oxford University Press 2016.
- Lying, Misleading, and What is Said: An Exploration in Philosophy of Language and in Ethics, Oxford University Press 2012.
- Simple Sentences, Substitution, and Intuitions, Oxford University Press 2007.
- Feminism: Issues and Arguments, Oxford University Press 2003.
- “What is Happening to our Norms Against Racist Speech?”, Aristotelian Society 93(1): 1-23. 2019.
- "Immigration in the Brexit Campaign: Protean Dogwhistles and Political Manipulation", in Fox, C, and Saunders, J., Media Ethics, Free Speech, and the Requirements of Democracy, Routledge. 2019.
- "(How) Should We Tell Implicit Bias Stories?", Disputatio 10 (50): 217-244. 2018.
- “Negligent Falsehood, White Ignorance, and False News”, in Elliott Michaelson and Andreas Stokke’s Lying: Language, Knowledge and Ethics (OUP). 2018.
- “Dogwhistles, Political Manipulation, and Philosophy of Language” in Daniel Fogal, Matt Cross and Daniel Harris’s New Work on Speech Acts volume (OUP). 2018.
Selected grants, fellowships, awards:
- Leverhulme International Network Grant (April 2011-June 2013): Implicit Bias and Philosophy Research Network
- Distinguished Woman Philosopher Award 2011
- Philip Leverhulme Prize 2003