The Research Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Council was created at the University of Waterloo by the Vice-President, Research & International (VPRI) in 2018 with a mandate to:
- Oversee key activities related to the implementation and tracking of Waterloo’s CRC Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Indigenous Initiatives (EDII) Action Plan
- Develop strategies to help support successful research outcomes by members of the four designated groups (FDG: women, persons with disabilities, Indigenous Peoples, and members of visible minorities) and more generally for early-career investigators and researchers new to Waterloo
- Develop and support networking groups, initially focusing on the FDGs in science, technology, engineering and mathematics, but ultimately expanding to other disciplines;
- Develop leadership training events for established and early-career researchers; and
- Work with graduate studies and postdoctoral fellows to encourage recruitment and mentorship of graduate students identifying as one or more of the FDGs in science, engineering and technology.
The REDI Council reports directly to the VPRI, providing strategic advice and leading initiatives with the goal of embedding EDII across the research enterprise.