University of Waterloo
Engineering 5 (E5), 6th Floor
Phone: 519-888-4567 ext.32600
David Clausi is a Professor in the Department of Systems Design Engineering at the University of Waterloo.
His research interests lie in computer vision, image processing, and pattern recognition with an emphasis on the automated interpretation of satellite imagery.
Professor Clausi is a multidisciplinary researcher, publishing refereed journal and conference papers in the diverse fields including remote sensing, computer vision, and algorithm design. His research work has led to successful commercial implementations including the creation and selling of a startup company (CREZ). After successful product deployment and sales, CREZ was purchased by Pointstreak Sports Technologies in 2011.
As of result of his teaching and research work, Professor Clausi has received multiple awards including the “Research Excellence and Service to the Research Community” award from the Canadian Image Processing and Pattern Recognition Society (CIPPRS) in 2010. He has also received numerous Outstanding Performance Awards and Distinguished Performance Awards as well as two teaching awards (Sanford Fleming Teaching Excellence Award. University of Calgary Teaching Excellence Award).
- Computer Vision
- Remote Sensing Systems
- Sports Analytics
- Sea Ice Monitoring
- Artificial Intelligence
- Machine Learning
- Digital Image Processing
- Pattern Recognition
- Satellite Imagery
- Signal Processing
- 1996, Doctorate, Systems Design Engineering, University of Waterloo
- 1992, Master's, Systems Design Engineering, University of Waterloo
- 1990, Bachelor's, Systems Design Engineering, University of Waterloo
- SYDE 121 - Digital Computation
- Taught in 2016, 2017
- SYDE 575 - Image Processing
- Taught in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- SYDE 633 - Remote Sensing Systems
- Taught in 2016, 2017, 2018
- Lee, Peter Q and Xu, Linlin and Clausi, David A, Sentinel-1 additive noise removal from cross-polarization extra-wide TOPSAR with dynamic least-squares, Remote Sensing of Environment, 248, 2020
- Chen, Yujia and Xu, Linlin and Fang, Yuan and Peng, Junhuan and Yang, Wenfu and Wong, Alexander and Clausi, David A, Unsupervised Bayesian Subpixel Mapping of Hyperspectral Imagery Based on Band-Weighted Discrete Spectral Mixture Model and Markov Random Field, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, 2020
- Hoekstra, Marie and Jiang, Mingzhe and Clausi, David A and Duguay, Claude, Lake Ice-Water Classification of RADARSAT-2 Images by Integrating IRGS Segmentation with Pixel-Based Random Forest Labeling, Remote Sensing, 12(9), 2020
- Asadi, Nazanin and Scott, K Andrea and Komarov, Alexander S and Buehner, Mark and Clausi, David A, Evaluation of a Neural Network With Uncertainty for Detection of Ice and Water in SAR Imagery, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 2020
- Yang, Longshan and Xu, Linlin and Peng, Junhuan and Song, Yongze and Wong, Alexander and Clausi, David A, Nonlocal Band-Weighted Iterative Spectral Mixture Model for Hyperspectral Imagery Denoising, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 2020
- Vats, Kanav and Fani, Mehrnaz and Walters, Pascale and Clausi, David A and Zelek, John, Event Detection in Coarsely Annotated Sports Videos via Parallel Multi-Receptive Field 1D Convolutions, Proceedings of the IEEE/CVF Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshops, 1 2020, 882 - 883
- Currently considering applications from graduate students. A completed online application is required for admission; start the application process now.