The cover sheet is an internal electronic document, mandatory for all proposals and applications, even when UW researchers are to receive a subgrant of funds from a collaborator at another institution. It should be completed and submitted for approvals PRIOR to submission of the proposal to the sponsor.
The new electronic cover sheet:
- Gathers the same information and approvals as the previous paper and PDF versions, but is more efficient, accessible, and secure and has a built-in workflow to collect the required approvals;
- Can be created by a Principal Investigator (PI), or for them by staff or trainees with WatIAM credentials, but it must be submitted by the Principal Investigator (PI);
- Can be accessed from anywhere using one’s WatIAM credentials;
- Can include all funding sources for matching programs;
- Provides the ability for the PI and approvers to track the status of the cover sheet as it goes through the approval process;
- Remains accessible in the system as an historical record for the PI and approvers; and
- Allows relevant application materials to be attached and comments to be included for the approval process.
The approval process is built into the electronic coversheet process.
- Research funds to be held in an academic unit must be approved by the appropriate academic unit head and the dean, or their designate(s).
- Tri-Agency funds are to be held in an academic unit.
- Research funds from other sponsors may be held in research centres or institutes subject to the approval of the centre/institute director, as well as the academic unit head and the dean, or their designate(s). For university research centres and institutes, the approval of the vice-president, research & international is also required.
First time? Watch this short video to get started! Creating an electronic cover sheet (YouTube)
Faculty support documentation: Your individual faculty may have provided guidelines as to the requirements and/or documentation that should be included. This can be accessed through this link: Faculty Requirements.
The Electronic Cover Sheet system and detailed training materials can be accessed through the link below.
Questions? Found an issue? Want to provide feedback or an improvement suggestion?