Dr. Igboeli has significant academic and practical experience in entrepreneurship and research commercialization. Prior to joining the Science and Business program, he founded and led the drug discovery company, True Spring Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Dr. Igboeli teaches several Science and Business courses, and facilitates the integration of Science and Business students’ experience with entrepreneurial activities on campus and in the community.
Office: ESC 357B
Phone: (519) 888-4567 ext. 48769
- General inquiries
- Post-grad advising
- Veterinary pharmacology and toxicology
- Drug discovery and drug target validation
- Drug resistance
- Molecular biology
- Technology development and transfer
- Research commercialization
Discovery of new chemical entities for the treatment of infectious and non-infectious diseases of veterinary and medical significance.
Strategic risks involved in new drug discovery ventures.
SCBUS 122 Management of Business Organizations
SCBUS 423 Senior Honours Science and Business Workshop 4
SCBUS 424 Science and Business Workshop 5
President and Founder, True Spring Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Poley J.D., Igboeli O.O. and Fast M.D. 2015. Towards a consensus: Multiple experiments provide evidence for constitutive expression differences among sexes and populations of sea lice (Lepeophtheirus salmonis) related to emamectin benzoate resistance. Aquaculture doi: 10.1016/j.aquaculture.2015.06.026.
- Sutherland B.J.G., Poley J.D., Igboeli O.O., Jantzen J.R., Fast M.D., Koop B.F. and Jones S.R.M. 2014. Transcriptomic responses to emamectin benzoate in Pacific and Atlantic Canada salmon lice Lepeophtheirus salmonis with differing levels of drug resistance. Evolutionary Applications doi: 10.1111/eva.12237.
- Igboeli O.O., Burka J.F. and Fast M.D. 2014. Lepeophtheirus salmonis: a persisting challenge for salmon aquaculture. Animal Frontiers 4:22-32.
- Igboeli O.O., Burka J.F. and Fast M.D. 2013. Sea lice population and sex differences in P-glycoprotein expression and emamectin benzoate resistance on salmon farms in the Bay of Fundy, New Brunswick, Canada. Pest Management Science 70:905-914.
- Igboeli O.O., Fast M.D., Heumann J. and Burka J.F. 2012. Role of P-glycoprotein in emamectin benzoate (SLICE®) resistance in sea lice, Lepeophtheirus salmonis. Aquaculture 344-349:40-47.
Awards and Distinctions
- 2014 CERC Short-Term Research Placement Award (to the University of Bergen, Norway), UPEI, Charlottetown, PE
- 2013 MBA Entrance Scholarship, UPEI, Charlottetown, PE
- 2012 Innovation and Research Excellence Postdoctoral Fellowship, Innovation PEI, Charlottetown, PE
- 2012 Best Student Oral Presentation Award, Aquaculture Canada Conference, Charlottetown, PE
- 2010 Cooke Aquaculture Award, Best Graduate Student Oral Presentation, 20th APICS Aquaculture and Fisheries Conference, Fredericton, NB
- 2009 Innovation and Research Excellence PhD Fellowship, Innovation PEI, Charlottetown, PE
- 2008 Novartis Ph.D. Fellowship, Charlottetown, PE
University of Waterloo Affiliations
Professional Associations and Service
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Atlantic Veterinary College, University of Prince Edward Island
- Reviewer, Diseases of Aquatic Organisms
- Member, American Academy of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics (AAVPT)
- Member, Society of Toxicology (SOT)
- Member, Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC)
2015 MBA University of Prince Edward Island
2013 PhD Atlantic Veterinary College, University of Prince Edward Island
2006 MSc University of Nigeria
2002 DVM University of Nigeria