What is Science and Business?
- A paradigm shift: Your specialty doesn't have to be limited to one area. Waterloo offers 2 plans under the Science and Business program (Science and Business, and Biotechnology/CPA) that combine practical, comprehensive business skills with domain expertise in the sciences, get the in-depth study of both.
- A challenge to think differently: See science and business as two connected concepts, with graduates (you!) that bridge the gap—in knowledge, communication and capability—between the two fields.
- A jumpstart for your career: An impressive Bachelor of Science degree that's so much more than just science.
From tech start-ups to medical diagnostic firms, organizations need work-ready professionals that have expertise in multiple fields. Go from explaining the science behind a new product to presenting the commercial launch!
2 plans of study that help you reach your goals
- Science and Business
Choose your specialization from 3 possible scientific disciplines, or stay unspecialized and choose the courses you'll need, to prime you for the future you want. Use electives to personalize your degree and you'll graduate as an expert in a field of science you're passionate about, with a versatile set of business skills. You'll be an asset right away, on any project. You can also include cooperative work experience in your study, with all the benefits that brings. Not only will you be an authority in your subject area, but you'll also be a triple threat with your scientific expertise, business skills and experiential learning!
- Biotechnology and Chartered Professional Accountancy
Graduate with an elite, cutting edge science degree and the tools to address the heart of business. Be ready to take on the CPA Professional Education Program (CPA PEP) or the Master of Accounting (MAcc) degree. Build your future with this unique program (the only one in the country) offering accounting, biotechnology and co-operative work placements and gain practical work experience that will set you apart.
- Oct. 26, 2022Inspiring personal and professional growth
The company well-known by university students and professionals for its unique approach to networking and mentorship is breaking new ground. The Waterloo alumni-founded company 10KC takes in $75 million investment to expand its offerings.
- Aug. 10, 2022Science and Business student's passion to help youth of Uganda leads him to create his own foundation
An end of year project, sparked Science and Business, Biotechnology 2B student Darren Harry Baine's passion to help youth in his home country of Uganda. His drive to create change and be part of the solution led him to create a non-profit foundation and an youth-focused YouTube series before joining Waterloo.
- June 29, 2021Science and Business students provide impactful business consulting to science-based companies throughout the pandemic
Throughout the pandemic, students in the WatSolve Consulting Group have continued to provide support for small science companies to find their niche in the market, through management consulting. The University of Waterloo is well known for its experiential learning experiences, and the Science and Business program is no exception.
- Apr. 6, 2023SCBUS Showcase
We’ll be wrapping up Spirit Week with SCBUS Showcase - a celebratory night filled with great
- Jan. 27, 2022Advice for your internship
For the past four years, I've been a student at the University of Waterloo studying in the Science and Business co-op program, specializing in Biochemistry. Being from B.C., one of the reasons why I chose to fly across the country to attend Waterloo was because of the co-op program.
- Dec. 20, 2021University of Waterloo’s Fusion Conference 2021
On November 13, Abigail Leu, Jake Goodman, Jared Richstone, and Shaylon Godse placed first overall at the 17th annual Fusion Conference, hosted by University of Waterloo. The Fusion Conference, operating since 2004, merges knowledge from science, business, and technology fields through a unique theme each year. Graduate and undergraduate students from around the world were encouraged to compete for a prize pool of $6,000.
- Nov. 30, 2021My Fusion Journey
Every student goes to university with a purpose. To me, university means forming connections and developing skills that help me make a positive impact on the world. I'm always looking for opportunities that help me achieve this goal through my passion for science, business, and technology, so joining the Fusion team in 2020 was a dream come true.