Science and Business
What is Science and Business
Science and Business? What's that?
- A paradigm shift: Your specialty doesn't have to be limited to one area. Waterloo offers 3 programs under the Science and Business umbrella that combine practical, comprehensive business skills with domain expertise in the sciences, get the in-depth study of both.
- A challenge to think differently: See science and business as two connected concepts, with graduates (you!) that bridge the gap—in knowledge, communication and capability—between the two fields.
- A jumpstart for your career: An impressive Bachelor of Science degree that's so much more than just science.
From tech start-ups to medical diagnostic firms, organizations need work-ready professionals that have expertise in multiple fields. Go from explaining the science behind a new product to presenting the commercial launch!
3 streams of study that help you reach your goals
- Science and Business
Choose your specialization from 7 possible scientific disciplines, or stay unspecialized and choose the courses you'll need, to prime you for the future you want. Use electives to personalize your degree and you'll graduate as an expert in a field of science you're passionate about, with a versatile set of business skills. You'll be an asset right away, on any project. You can also include cooperative work experience in your study, with all the benefits that brings. Not only will you be an authority in your subject area, but you'll also be a triple threat with your scientific expertise, business skills and experiential learning!
- Biotechnology and Economics
Gain a solid foundation in economic theory, sharpen your business acumen, and build your expertise in an exciting, high demand field of science or technology. Add your required co-operative work experience to the mix and you'll graduate with the skills and knowledge needed to make an impact, no matter where you land.
- Biotechnology and Chartered Professional Accountancy
Graduate with an elite, cutting edge science degree and the tools to address the heart of business. Be ready to take on the CPA Professional Education Program (CPA PEP) or the Master of Accounting (MAcc) degree. Build your future with this unique program (the only one in the country) offering accounting, biotechnology and co-operative work placements and gain practical work experience that will set you apart.
- Feb. 22, 2017
This past weekend, the University of Waterloo held its 13th annual Fusion Conference. The student organized conference creates a space for individuals to share their passion for innovation and showcase their expertise.
- Dec. 1, 2016
Science and Business student Lisa Tran was part of the interdisciplinary team that won the University of Waterloo division of the 2017 Hult Prize Challenge "Reawakening Human Potential".
- Sep. 8, 2016
Medella Health, founded by former Science and Business student Harry Gandhi won the National James Dyson Award for developing a contact lens that will revolutionize how diabetics monitor their blood sugar.
Velocity Science companies Arylla and Penta Medical were named National Runner Ups for their anti-counterfeit nano ink and infrared wearables.