The University of Waterloo invites you to share thoughts and ideas on how the campus can become carbon neutral by 2050. This is one of three Open Houses where all members of the University community are encouraged to provide input. Four public consultations were also held in Winter 2019.
The Open Houses will display relevant information about the development of Waterloo's first ever Climate and Energy Action Plan, key stats and data, and provide an opportunity for thoughts, comments, and to indicate areas of importance and concern.
These consultations are facilitated by the Sustainability Office on behalf of the Climate and Energy Working Group of the President's Advisory Committee on Environmental Sustainability.
Waterloo is in the process of developing the first ever Climate and Energy Action Plan for the campus. This came about through two commitments:
- Waterloo's Environmental Sustainability Strategy commits the University to develop by the end of 2019 an action plan to become carbon neutral by 2050
- Waterloo supported a Council of Ontario Universities joint commitment to develop a roadmap to a low carbon campus by the end of 2019
Development of the plan also supports Waterloo's legal compliance requirements for energy conservation and reporting.
Progress to date
- Winter 2018: Formed the Climate and Energy Working Group of the President's Advisory Committee on Environmental Sustainability
- Spring 2018: Conducted interviews with other campuses and researched sector approaches and best practices
- Fall 2018: Developed baseline information and updated emissions inventory; identified important technical pathways to reach carbon neutral
- Winter 2019: Began discussions with key stakeholders; first round of public consultations
- Spring 2019: Second round of public consultations; drafting of initial action plan
- Public feedback will be reviewed throughout Spring 2019 and integrated into the proposed plans as appropriate.
- The Climate and Energy Working Group is also developing technical feasibility studies to more accurately scope projects and emissions reductions opportunities.
- The final Climate and Energy Action Plan is scheduled for release in Fall 2019.
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo, ON N2L 3G1