University of Waterloo
Engineering 5 (E5), 6th Floor
Phone: 519-888-4567 ext.32600
We require mandatory health and safety training for everyone in the Department of Systems Design Engineering.
All Faculty, Staff, Students (Undergraduate and Graduate), Postdoctoral Fellows and Research Personnel MUST complete the following computer-based training courses:
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) - Employees excluding undergraduates
- WHMIS - for undergraduate students only
- Employee safety orientation
- Workplace Violence Awareness
Health, Safety and Environment Management System (HSEMS) - New Risk Assessment Program
As part of our Health, Safety and Environment Management System (HSEMS), the University is implementing a Risk Assessment Program, the objective of which is to manage workplace hazards through proactive recognition, assessment, control and evaluation.
Building on existing tools and practices, the Risk Assessment Program helps to establish awareness and accountability at key points throughout the management chain and will enable department heads/chairs/directors to oversee hazards and controls in areas for which they are responsible. This will also simplify our annual compliance reporting.
For all department heads/directors/chairs, supervisors, managers, and health and safety coordinators:
- Online training - Risk Assessment SO 2500 .
For supervisors and managers who are responsible for completing risk assessments:
- Classroom training - Application of Risk Assessment SO 2501 (SO 2500 must be completed before this one).
Sessions for this training will start in September 2019, and The Safety Office will make announcement once registration is open.
In case of emergency call:
- Fire/Ambulance/Police 911
- Fire alarms pull station for fire department
- UW Health Services ext. 33544
- UW Police ext. 22222
- Plant Operations ext. 33793
- Poison Control Centre or 1-800-268-9017
- Director of Safety - Kate Windsor 35814
- SYDE/BME Health and Safety Coordinator - Zivojin Pantic 43836
For campus Health Services, please visit https://uwaterloo.ca/campus-wellness/.