- Master of Science, Kinesiology
- Registered Kinesiologist
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Exercise Specialist
- Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology (CSEP) Certified Exercise Physiologist (CEP) and CEP Examiner
- ACSM Advanced Personal Trainer
- Bone FitTM Certified
Caryl is currently a clinical lecturer in University of Waterloo's Department of Kinesiology and has been part of the teaching staff since 1980. She teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in exercise physiology and cardiac rehabilitation (Kinesiology 407, 470, 492, 692).
As director of UW Fitness since 1996 and current program director of CCCARE, Caryl has been dedicated to advancing knowledge for exercise for health and performance. In conjunction with professional staff within UW Fitness, she has developed and implemented exercised based programs and assessments for a variety of participants including:
- UW WELL-FIT - exercise based programs for participants undergoing treatment for cancer
- Hardy Hearts - cardiac rehabilitation
- Teens In Motion - adolescents striving for a healthy weight
- Physiological assessments and programming for performance
- Certifications for Kinesiology students through the Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology
- Educational and professional talks focusing on exercise based prevention and rehabilitation
A member of the Waterloo Regional Cardiac Rehabilitation Program known as Hardy Hearts, Caryl has held various positions including being a student volunteer, program director and currently vice–chair since 1980.
As a member of the Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology and the American College of Sports Medicine, Caryl has attended and presented at annual conferences and been part of the certification process.
Caryl’s research, publications and invited talks focus on exercise physiology, biomechanics and cardiac and cancer rehabilitation.