Welcome to the Centre for Community, Clinical and Applied Research Excellence (CCCARE). We are a unique, multidisciplinary team of researchers, certified exercise specialists, clinical experts, graduate students and staff that strive to improve the overall health of individuals in the community through advanced research, educational opportunities, and progressive outreach programs. Our comprehensive tools and technology help to advance our knowledge in preventing and managing illness and injury, while optimizing health.
Based in the University of Waterloo’s Faculty of Applied Health Sciences which was founded in 1967, CCCARE leverages research and teaching expertise from the world's first Department of Kinesiology to offer specialized programs and services.
Quality fitness programs and services
We are dedicated to providing quality programs and services in a relaxed and private environment. Our certified professionals offer programs and services that benefit everyone, including those who are:
- Exercising recreationally or high performance athletes interested in a comprehensive fitness appraisal or personal training sessions
- Staff or faculty members interested in small group personal training or specialized fitness programs
- Being treated for, or recovered from cancer and would like to participate in the UW WELL-FIT cancer exercise programs including START-FIT, STAY-FIT, or LIVING-FIT
- Teens who battle excess weight and want to become more active with Teens In Motion
- Living with the effects of stroke with our STEPS program
- Experiencing a form of dementia or mild cognitive impairment and their care partners with our Brain and Body program
- Requiring supervised cardiac rehabilitation with Hardy Hearts
In response to the evolving COVID-19 situation, we are excited to now offer our current members remote exercise program options for those enrolled in our UW WELL-FIT, STEPS, and Brain and Body programs. Our certified staff are committed to making the remote experience one that is engaging, challenging, enjoyable and safe for all of our valued clients.
Research and education
We are continually developing new programs, educational opportunities and partnerships to offer greater advances in research and in promoting health in our community. For students interested in gaining valuable hands-on experience in exercise management, we offer volunteer opportunities.