Weihua Zhuang is a Professor at the University of Waterloo with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, as well as a Tier I Canada Research Chair in Wireless Communication Networks. Professor Zhuang also has fellowships with the IEEE, Canadian Academy of Engineering (CAE), and Engineering Institute of Canada (EIC).
Professor Zhuang’s research interests include wireless communications, wireless networking, and smart grid. Current research activities focus on distributed resource allocation, mobility management, quality-of-service provisioning, medium access control, scheduling, call admission control, congestion control, routing, cross-layer design and optimization, heterogeneous wireless and wireline interworking, information and communication systems for smart grid. Her extensive research works have been published in the first-rate IEEE journals and conference proceedings.
Her current research involves engineering solutions for accessing wireless communication networks from moving vehicles. Her goal is to provide efficient and reliable wireless information transmission between nearby vehicles as well as between vehicles and nearby roadside units. Through her research, she hopes to understand how a large number of vehicles on the road and high vehicle speed can impact network stability and performance. The future of her research will impact terrestrial wireless communications, improve road safety, facilitate intelligent transportation, provide mobile Internet access and support location-dependent information services.
- Wireless networking
- Wireless communications
- Smart grid
- BSc, Dalian Maritime University, China
- MSc, Dalian Maritime University, China
- PhD, University of New Brunswick
- M. Ismail and W. Zhuang, "Mobile terminal energy management for sustainable multi-homing video transmission", IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, to appear.
- H. Liang and W. Zhuang, "Stochastic modeling and optimization in a microgrid: a survey", Energies, vol. 2014, no. 7, pp. 2027-2053, March 2014.
- H. Omar, W. Zhuang, and L. Li, "VeMAC: a TDMA-based MAC protocol for reliable broadcast in VANETs", IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 1724-1736, Sept. 2013.
- S. Bharati and W. Zhuang, "CAH-MAC: cooperative ADHOC MAC for vehicular networks", IEEE Journal on Selected Areas of Communications, vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 470-479, Sept. 2013.
- W. Song and W. Zhuang, "Performance analysis of probabilistic multipath transmission of video streaming traffic over multi-radio wireless devices", IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 1554 - 1564, April 2012.