About the award
Part of the President’s Upper-Year Award program, this award ($1,500) is available to eligible students who are pursuing a full- or part-time University of Waterloo research experience, under the supervision of a University of Waterloo researcher.
- You must have received the President’s Scholarship of Distinction in Year One.
- You must have completed Year One with a minimum cumulative average of 80%.
- You must be a continuing full-time undergraduate student registered with the University of Waterloo.
- You may claim two President’s Upper-Year Awards during your undergraduate career.
- New for 2021-22 only: If the position is a full-time/full-term research experience, you may claim two President’s Research Awards ($3,000 total), if you have not already claimed a President’s Upper-Year Award previously.
- The research position must be under the supervision of a University of Waterloo researcher and for a University of Waterloo research facility - either in person or remotely.
- Research undertaken as part of course requirements is not eligible for the purpose of this award.
- It may be a part-time position during a full-time study term (minimum of 75 hours over the course of the term), or a full-time co-op placement term, or a full-time summer term.
- It must be of suitable duration, and supported by clear objectives, to warrant receiving the award.
How to apply
- Speak to your Dean’s office or undergraduate office about research experiences available in your faculty.
- Connect with the research supervisor.
- Ensure that you are fully aware of the requirements of the research placement including timelines, deliverables, milestones, etc. The research supervisor is encouraged to provide you with additional documentation that details the expectations.
- Apply to claim the award funds by completing this online form.
Award Application Deadlines
The following deadlines pertain to claiming the President’s Research Award only. Plan ahead - explore research opportunities well before the term that you wish to claim the award.
- Fall-term research: October 1
- Winter-term research: February 1
- Spring-term research: June 1
- The award will be given either to supplement or in lieu of salary, as appropriate based on the time commitment and based on faculty guidelines related to research opportunities.
- The award will be paid through your Waterloo student account on Quest following the application deadline. All submissions are subject to verification. Awards may be adjusted if you fail to complete the assignment.
Contact Student Awards and Financial Aid if you have questions about specific award requirements, completing the form, or award decisions.