Use this form to request a short-term emergency loan from the University of Waterloo. The University of Waterloo Emergency Loan Program is to assist students with related costs (such as rent, groceries, etc.) while awaiting another source of income.
Complete all required fields on the form.
Rules and regulations
- Loans are not available until tuition fees are paid or arranged.
- Emergency loans may not be used to cover tuition and fees or to arrange fees for registration purposes.
- Available to domestic and international undergraduate students in satisfactory academic standing.
- Loan maximums: $1,000 for full-time students and $300 for part-time students.
- Funding for approved loans will normally be issued via direct deposit within three business days of approval.
- A hold (negative service indicator) will be applied to the student account once a loan has been approved, preventing the student from ordering transcripts until the hold is removed. If the loan is not repaid, a secondary hold (negative service indicator) may be applied, restricting self-enrollment, access to transcripts, and obtaining a diploma.
- Loans are to be paid back in full within 90 days of being issued. Repayment must be made through a direct Shopify link provided upon loan approval. Repayment cannot be made to your student account.
- Failure to remit payment by the deadline will result in further collection action:
- Applying a $25 administrative fee on top of the original loan amount immediately