Joining the Department in 2006, Claude’s main research interests are in the areas of Arctic hydro-climatology, lake/cryosphere-atmosphere interactions, remote sensing, and numerical modeling. Prof. Duguay is the founding director of UW's Interdisciplinary Centre on Climate Change.
For more information, visit Claude Duguay's research group website.
Key Areas of Graduate Supervision
Remote sensing and modeling of northern lakes and permafrost, lake-atmosphere interactions.
Recent Courses Taught
GEOG 271: Earth from Space Using Remote Sensing
GEOG 316: Multivariate Statistics
GEOG 419: The Cryosphere
GEOG 602: Remote Sensing of Cold Regions
My main research interests are in remote sensing and modeling of cold regions with the intent of deepening our knowledge, understanding and predictive capabilities of lake/land-atmosphere/climate interactions. Some of my current areas of interest include the development of satellite-based lake and permafrost-related products, the response of lakes to contemporary and future (projected) climate conditions, the role of lakes in weather, and improvement of the representation of cryospheric processes in lake model schemes as implemented in numerical weather prediction and climate models.
- Duguay, C.R., M. Bernier, Y. Gauthier, and A. Kouraev, 2015. Remote sensing of lake and river ice. In Remote Sensing of the Cryosphere, Edited by M. Tedesco. Wiley-Blackwell (Oxford, UK), pp. 273-306.
- Westerman, S., C.R. Duguay, G. Grosse, and A. Kääb, 2015. Remote sensing of permafrost and frozen ground. In Remote Sensing of the Cryosphere, Edited by M. Tedesco. Wiley-Blackwell (Oxford, UK), pp. 307-344.
- King, J., R. Kelly, A. Kasurak, C. Duguay, G. Gunn, N. Rutter, T. Watts, and C. Derksen, 2015. Spatiotemporal influence of tundra snow properties on Ku-band (17.2 GHz) backscatter. Journal of Glaciology, 61(226), doi: 10.3189/2015JoG14J020.
- Eerola, K., L. Rontu, E. Kourzeneva, H. Kheyrollah Pour, and C.R. Duguay, 2014. Impact of partly ice-free Lake Ladoga on temperature and cloudiness in an anticyclonic winter situation - a case study using HIRLAM model. Tellus Series A: Dynamic Meteorology and Oceanography, 66, 23929, http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/tellusa.v66.23929.
- Duguay, C., L. Brown, K.-K. Kang, and H. Kheyrollah Pour, 2014. [The Arctic] Lake ice [In “State of the Climate in 2013”]. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 95(7): S138-S139.
- Svacina, N.A., C.R. Duguay, and L.C. Brown, 2014. Modelled and satellite-derived surface albedo of lake ice - Part I: Evaluation of the albedo parameterization scheme of the Canadian Lake Ice Model. Hydrological Processes, 28: 4550–4561, DOI: 10.1002/hyp.10253.
- Svacina, N.A., C.R. Duguay, and J. King, 2014. Modelled and satellite-derived surface albedo of lake ice - Part II: Evaluation of MODIS albedo products. Hydrological Processes, 28: 4562–4572, DOI: 10.1002/hyp.10257.
- Cheng, B., T. Vihma, L. Rontu, A. Kontu, H. Kheyrollah Pour, C.R. Duguay, and J. Pulliainen, 2014. Evolution of snow and ice temperature, thickness and energy balance in Lake Orajärvi, northern Finland. Tellus Series A: Dynamic Meteorology and Oceanography, 66, 21564, http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/tellusa.v66.21564.
- Kheyrollah Pour, H., C.R. Duguay, R. Solberg, and Ø. Rudjord, 2014. Impact of satellite-derived lake surface state observations on the initial state of HIRLAM – Part I: Evaluation of MODIS and AATSR lake water surface temperature with in situ observations. Tellus Series A: Dynamic Meteorology and Oceanography, 66, 21534, http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/tellusa.v66.21534.
- Kheyrollah Pour, H., L. Rontu, C.R. Duguay, K. Eerola, and E. Kourzeneva, 2014. Impact of satellite-derived lake surface state observations on the initial state of HIRLAM – Part II: Towards assimilation of space-borne lake water surface temperature observations. Tellus Series A: Dynamic Meteorology and Oceanography, 66, 21395, http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/tellusa.v66.213954.
- Kang, K.-K., C. R. Duguay, J. Lemmetyinen, and Y. Gel, 2014. Estimation of ice thickness on large northern lakes from AMSR-E brightness temperature measurements. Remote Sensing of Environment, 150: 1-19, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2014.04.016.
- Macrae, M.L., L.C. Brown, C.R. Duguay, J.A. Parrott, and R.M. Petrone, 2014. Observed and projected climate change in the Churchill region of the Hudson Bay Lowlands and implications for pond sustainability. Arctic, Antarctic and Alpine Research, 46(1): 272-285.
- Surdu, C., C.R. Duguay, L.C. Brown, and D. Fernández Prieto, 2014. Response of ice cover on shallow Arctic lakes of the North Slope of Alaska to contemporary climate conditions (1950-2011): Radar remote sensing and numerical modeling data analysis. The Cryosphere, 8: 167-180, doi:10.5194/tc-8-167-2014.
- Duguay, C., L. Brown, K.-K. Kang, and H. Kheyrollah Pour, 2013. [The Arctic] Lake ice [In “State of the Climate in 2012”]. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 94(8): S124-S126.
- King, J.M.L., R. Kelly, A. Kasurak, C. Duguay, G. Gunn, and J.B. Mead, 2013. UW-Scat - ground-based dual frequency scatterometry for observation of snow processes. IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, 10(3): 528-532, doi: 10.1109/LGRS.2012.2212177.
- Luus, K.A., Y. Gel, J.C. Lin, R.E.J. Kelly, and C.R. Duguay, 2013. Pan-Arctic linkages between snow accumulation and growing season air temperature, soil moisture & vegetation. Biogeosciences, 10: 7575–7597, doi:10.5194/bg-10-7575-2013.
- Luus, K.A., J.C. Lin, R.E.J. Kelly, and C.R. Duguay, 2013. Towards reducing uncertainty in model estimates of Arctic/sub-Arctic net ecosystem exchange by representing snow season processes. Progress in Physical Geography, 37(4): 484-515, doi: 10.1177/0309133313491130.
- Soliman, A., C. Duguay, W. Saunders, and S. Hachem, 2012. Pan-Arctic land surface temperature from MODIS and AATSR: Product development and intercomparison. Remote Sensing, 4: 3833-3856; doi:10.3390/rs4123833.
- Green, J., C. Kongoli, A. Prakash, M. Sturm, C. Duguay, and S. Li, 2012. Quantifying the relationships between lake fraction, snow water equivalent and snow depth, and microwave brightness temperatures in an arctic tundra landscape. Remote Sensing of Environment, 127: 329-340, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2012.09.008.
- Duguay, C., L. Brown, K.-K. Kang, and H. Kheyrollah Pour, 2012. [The Arctic] Lake ice [In “State of the Climate in 2011”]. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 93(7): S152-S154.
- Brown, L.C. and C.R. Duguay, 2012. Modelling lake ice phenology with an examination of satellite detected sub-grid cell variability. Advances in Meteorology, vol. 2012, Article ID 529064, 19 pages, doi:10.1155/2012/529064.
- Derksen, C., S.L. Smith, M. Sharp, L. Brown, S. Howell, L. Copland, D. R. Mueller, Y. Gauthier, C. Fletcher, A. Tivy, M. Bernier, J. Bourgeois, R. Brown, C.R. Burn, C. Duguay, P. Kushner, A. Langlois, A.G. Lewkowicz, A. Royer, and A. Walker, 2012. Variability and change in the Canadian cryosphere. Climatic Change, doi: 10.1007/s10584-012-0470-0.
- Kang, K-K., C. R. Duguay, and S. E. L. Howell, 2012. Estimating ice phenology on large northern lakes from AMSR-E: Algorithm development and application to Great Bear Lake and Great Slave Lake, Canada. The Cryosphere, 6: 235-254, doi:10.5194/tc-6-235-2012.
- Hachem, S., C. R. Duguay, and M. Allard, 2012. Comparison of MODIS-derived land surface temperatures with ground surface and air temperature measurements in continuous permafrost terrain. The Cryosphere, 6: 51-69, doi:10.5194/tc-6-51-2012.
- Kheyrollah Pour, H., C.R. Duguay, A. Martynov, and L.C. Brown, 2012. Simulation of surface temperature and ice cover of large northern lakes with 1-D models: A comparison with MODIS satellite data and in situ measurements. Tellus Series A: Dynamic Meteorology and Oceanography, 64, 17614, doi: 10.3402/tellusa.v64i0.17614.
- Jeffries, M.O., K. Morris, and C.R. Duguay, 2012. Floating ice: lake ice and river ice. In Satellite Image Atlas of Glaciers of the World - State of the Earth's Cryosphere at the Beginning of the 21st Century: Glaciers, Global Snow Cover, Floating Ice, and Permafrost and Periglacial Environments. Edited by R.S. Williams, Jr. and J.G. Ferrigno. U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 1386-A, pp. A381-A424.