The Graduate Student Contingency Bursary (previously known as the Millennium Graduate Bursary) is available to University of Waterloo full-time international graduate students who have experienced extenuating circumstances – defined as events or situations that could not reasonably have been predicted or expected and were beyond the control of the student - and as a result, have unexpected financial need.
The funding provided is to assist with students’ reasonable living and educational expenses only and is normally given to students in term 4.0 or beyond of their academic program.
*Please note, students, who are Canadian Citizens or permanent residents, requiring financial assistance must apply for a bursary through the Student Awards & Financial Aid Office.
Varies but will be restricted to a maximum based on the student’s situation.
- be international
- be a full time graduate student in good academic standing
- normally be in term 4.0 or beyond of their academic program
- show evidence of the extenuating circumstances that have occurred since their time of admission; students past their term limits (with extenuating circumstances) may also be considered
- demonstrate their financial shortfall through the completion of the budget section of the application
- provide written confirmation that they are seeking support elsewhere and identify how they are covering any short fall; written confirmation should also include a financial plan for future terms
- Award bursary application
- Complete the appropriate application on our forms page
- Attach required documentation (as per application form)
- Submit your complete application package to Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs (GSPA) by the appropriate term deadline below
- Fall term – September 15
- Winter term – January 15
- Spring term – May 15