Your WatCard serves as your library card. Use it to borrow library materials, print, photocopy, and scan.
Get Access to the Library
Students, faculty, staff, postdoctoral fellows, retirees, and alumni: You will have library privileges automatically provisioned with no activation needed. Please test your access by logging into the Get access from anywhere page using your WatIAm credentials. If you experience any issues, please fill out the online registration form.
Visiting scholars or Research assistants: a sponsored WatIAM account needs to be requested from Information Systems and Technology (IST) through the UWaterloo Help Portal web form. In the web form, specify an end date and make sure the ‘Library access’ box is checked. The sponsored account can be requested by the department chair or their delegate (for example, their Administrative Assistant). Please review the definitions for Visiting scholar and Research assistant before submitting your request.
Community borrowers: Adults residing within Waterloo Region may apply for a library card at the Circulation desk free of charge. To obtain a borrower card you must present proof of residency showing your name and address.
High school students: Students enrolled in secondary schools within the Regional Municipality of Waterloo and Wellington County can apply for a library card at the Circulation desk free of charge. Students must present a High School Registration form signed by their principal or school librarian validating their need to use an academic library. Instructors may request this form to be sent to them.
Report a lost or stolen library card
- You are responsible for materials borrowed on your card and for any charges that may result from late, lost or damaged materials.
- If you lose your card, please report it immediately to a Circulation desk or call 519-888-4600.
- A replacement card can be obtained for a $20 fee from the WatCard office.
- Replacements for community borrower cards may be obtained from the Circulation desk in the Dana Porter Library or the Davis Centre Library for a $5 fee.
Change of information
- Students should update any change in address or email on Quest student information system so that library notices will be correctly addressed. Fines may be incurred as a result of notices being sent to an incorrect address.
- Other borrowers who don't have access to Quest may update any change of information at the Circulation desk or by calling 519-888-4600.
- Faculty and staff should ensure any change in campus address or email is reflected in the WatIAM campus identity system so that library notices will be correctly addressed. Fines may be incurred as a result of notices being sent to an incorrect address.