Updates during COVID-19: In-person activation of WatCard and application for Library card are unavailable until further notice
Your WatCard serves as your library card. Use it to borrow library materials, print, photocopy, and scan.
Get a library card
- Students: Currently registered undergraduate and graduate students automatically have library privileges with no activation needed. New students can request their WatCard by filling out the WatCard request form. The WatCard office will email you a "WatCard" in PDF format.
- Faculty, staff, and postdoctoral fellows: You will need to activate your WatCard using the online registration form or in person at the library's Circulation desk to be able to access the library’s resources.
- Visiting faculty and scholars: You must register your WatCard at the library's Circulation desk and must present a letter from your host that confirms your appointment.
- Research assistant proxy card: Registered faculty and staff can apply for a research assistant proxy card that authorizes another individual to borrow and access library material on their behalf. You may apply for a research assistant proxy card online.
- Alumni: All Waterloo graduates can register their alumni WatCards using the online registration form or in person at the library's Circulation desk.
- Students taking online courses: A WatCard will be mailed to you when you register for classes; this serves as your library card. Please contact Centre for Extended Learning at ExtendedLearning@uwaterloo.ca for questions or problems with your Watcard.
- Community borrowers: Adults residing within Ontario may apply for a library card at the Circulation desk free of charge. To obtain a borrower card you must present proof of residency showing your name and address.
- High school students: Students enrolled in secondary schools within the Regional Municipality of Waterloo and Wellington County can apply for a library card at the Circulation desk free of charge. Students must present a High School Registration form signed by their principal or school librarian validating their need to use an academic library. Instructors may request this form to be sent to them.
Report a lost or stolen library card
- You are responsible for materials borrowed on your card and for any charges that may result from late, lost or damaged materials.
- If you lose your card, please report it immediately to a Circulation desk or call 519-888-4600.
- A replacement card can be obtained for a $20 fee from the WatCard office.
- Replacements for community borrower cards may be obtained from the Circulation desk in the Dana Porter Library or the Davis Centre Library for a $5 fee.
Change of information
- Students should update any change in address or email on Quest student information system so that library notices will be correctly addressed. Fines may be incurred as a result of notices being sent to an incorrect address.
- Other borrowers who don't have access to Quest may update any change of information at the Circulation desk or by calling 519-888-4600.