Your WatCard serves as your library card. Use it to:
Get a library card
- Students: Currently registered undergraduate and graduate students automatically have library privileges with no activation needed.
- Faculty, staff, and postdoctoral fellows: You may register your WatCard using the online registration form or in person at the library's Circulation desk.
- Visiting faculty and scholars: You must register your WatCard at the library's Circulation desk and must present a letter from your host that confirms your appointment.
- Research assistant proxy card: Registered faculty and staff can apply for a research assistant proxy card that authorizes another individual to borrow and access library material on their behalf. You may apply for a research assistant proxy card online.
- Alumni: All Waterloo graduates can register their alumni WatCards using the online registration form or in person at the library's Circulation desk.
Retirees: You need to revalidate your WatCard by contacting Laurie Strome, patron Accounts, at 519-888-4567 x 35520. More information for University of Waterloo retirees can be found on the Retirees Association site.
- Distance education students: A WatCard will be mailed to you when you register for classes; this serves as your library card. Please contact Centre for Extended Learning at ExtendedLearning@uwaterloo.ca for questions or problems with your Watcard.
- Community borrowers: Adults residing within Ontario may apply for a library card at the Circulation desk free of charge. To obtain a borrower card you must present proof of residency showing your name and address.
- High school students: Students enrolled in secondary schools within the Regional Municipality of Waterloo and Wellington County can apply for a library card at the Circulation desk free of charge. You will need a letter of introduction from a principal or school librarian validating your need to use an academic library.
Report a lost or stolen library card
- You are responsible for materials borrowed on your card and for any charges that may result from late, lost or damaged materials.
- If you lose your card, please report it immediately to a Circulation desk or call 519-888-4600.
- A replacement card can be obtained for a $20 fee from the WatCard office.
- Replacements for community borrower cards may be obtained from the Circulation desk in the Dana Porter Library or the Davis Centre Library for a $5 fee.
Change of information
- Students should update any change in address or email on Quest student information system so that library notices will be correctly addressed. Fines may be incurred as a result of notices being sent to an incorrect address.
- Other borrowers who don't have access to Quest may update any change of information at the Circulation desk or by calling 519-888-4600.