Prior to your last academic term, review your unofficial transcript in Quest to verify the degree and academic plan(s) you are currently enrolled in.
Need to make a change? Submit a Plan Modification Form.
Your Application to Graduate should be a confirmation of what's already listed in Quest; it is not the appropriate time to add/remove plans.
Once this has been done, review the following graduation checklist for undergraduate students to ensure everything is in order.
Communications on important information relating to convocation will be sent to your Waterloo email account.
Office of the Registrar graduation checklist
- Submit an Application to Graduate
- Verify your name for your diploma
- Verify your mailing address
- Verify your degree status
- Pay outstanding University accounts
- Review all things convocation
Have questions about any of these steps? Contact the Office of the Registrar.
Submit an Application to Graduate during the application windows listed below once you are confident that you will meet your degree requirements and would like to graduate.
For spring Convocation (June 2021):
- November 2, 2020 - December 1, 2021: if requirements are completed during the fall term
- November 2, 2020 - March 1, 2021: if requirements are completed during the winter term
For fall Convocation (October 2021):
- June 20, 2021 - August 15, 2021: if requirements are completed during the spring term
Once you've submitted your application, you will receive an email copy. This is your confirmation that your form has been received for processing.
In Quest, you can view the information you provided on your application to check and ensure that it is correct. For step-by-step instructions, view How do I view my application to graduate information?. Timing of appearance will vary. You will receive further communications via your Waterloo email account.
In Quest, on the Names page under Personal Information, verify that the legal name (first, middle, last) that appears is correct; this is the name that will be printed on your diploma.
If you'd like to make changes/additions/deletions to your name, complete and submit a Change of Name Form with the required documentation by the following deadlines:
- May 1 for spring Convocation
- September 1 for fall Convocation
In Quest, verify that your "Mail" address is current. This is the address that will be used to send:
- your Convocation invitation (deadline: six weeks prior to ceremony)
- your diploma after Convocation if you are unable to attend Convocation (deadline: three weeks prior to ceremony)
Ensure all desired options, minors, specializations, and co-operative programs are present. Check with the appropriate faculty/department if you have any questions.
In Quest, check whether you owe the University money (for parking fines, library fines, tuition balances, etc.). Your diploma and transcript may be withheld if outstanding fees aren't paid by:
- June 1 for spring Convocation
- October 1 for fall Convocation
To verify your eligibility to graduate or your convocation ceremony, please direct your inquiry to the contact in the faculty area indicated below.
For inquiries about the ceremony details (e.g., gown rentals, guests, etc.), contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applied Health Sciences
519-888-4567, ext. 43517
519-888-4567, ext. 43166
Civil, Environmental, Geological, Management, Mechanical, Mechatronics, System Design:
519-888-4567, ext. 46483
Architecture, Chemical, Computer, Electrical, Nanotechnology, Software:
519-888-4567, ext. 41818
519-888-4567, ext. 43164
519-888-4567, ext. 40340
519-888-4567, ext. 46483
Up-to-date information about Convocation is available on the Convocation event website.
Note: Alumni have access to Quest indefinitely after graduation to generate account statements and to access tax receipts.