Review the following graduation checklist for undergraduate students to ensure everything is in order.
Registrar's Office graduation checklist
Step 1: Submit an Application to Graduate
Submit an Application to Graduate according to the deadlines listed below once you are confident that you will meet your degree requirements and would like to graduate.
- December 1 for spring Convocation (if degree requirements are completed during the fall term)
- March 1 for spring Convocation (if degree requirements are completed during the winter term)
- August 1 for fall Convocation (if degree requirements are completed during the spring term)
You can check receipt of your form and graduation details on Quest. For step-by-step instructions, view the How do I view my intention to graduate information? web page.
Step 2: Verify your name for your diploma
If you'd like to make changes/additions/deletions to your name (including middle names), submit a Change of Name form with the required documentation to the Registrar's Office by the following deadlines:
- May 1 for the spring Convocation
- September 1 for the fall Convocation
Step 3: Verify your home and email addresses
In Quest, verify that your home address is current. This is the address that will be used to send:
- your Convocation invitation
- your diploma after Convocation if you are unable to attend Convocation.
Deadlines to update information:
- May 1 for spring Convocation
- September 1 for fall Convocation
Important Convocation information is sent via email to your Waterloo account.
Step 4: Verify your degree status
Ensure all options, minors, specializations, and also co-operative programs are present. Check with the appropriate faculty/department if you have any questions.
Important: If you do not meet degree requirements and our office is unable to reach you, your request to graduate will be cancelled.
Step 5: Pay outstanding University accounts
In Quest, check whether you owe the University money (for parking fines, library fines, tuition balances, etc.). Your diploma and transcript may be withheld if outstanding fees aren't paid by:
- June 1 for spring Convocation
- October 1 for fall Convocation
To correct the spelling of your name or degree/diploma/certificate, or to verify your convocation ceremony, please direct your inquiry to the contact in the faculty area indicated below.
Applied Health Sciences
519-888-4567, ext. 43517
519-888-4567, ext. 43166
Civil, Environmental, Geological, Management, Mechanical, Mechatronics, System Design:
519-888-4567, ext. 46483
Architecture, Chemical, Computer, Electrical, Nanotechnology, Software:
Vivian El Gawly
519-888-4567, ext. 41818
519-888-4567, ext. 43164
519-888-4567, ext. 41268
519-888-4567, ext. 46483
For inquiries about the ceremony details (e.g., gown rentals, guests, etc.), view Convocation contacts.
Information about convocation ceremonies is available on the Convocation event website, such as:
- Ceremony dates and times
- Information for graduating students, including what happens if you are unable to attend convocation
Note: Alumni have access to Quest indefinitely after graduation to generate account statements and to access tax receipts.