University of Waterloo
Environment 3 Building
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1, Canada
Tel. (519) 888-4567
|Degree/work requirements||Minimum GPA||Supporting documents||Deadline for application|
|Completed a 4-year Honours Bachelor's degree from a recognized university in a humanities, social science, health, engineering, environmental science, or business discipline||Minimum of 75% overall standing in the last two years of study||
Statement of interest
2 letters of reference
Current curriculum vitae (résumé)
English language proficiency test, if applicable
Waterloo's graduate studies application process is entirely electronic. We do not require paper documents to be mailed to us at the time of the application. Refer to the short video below and the application process website for more details.
The application deadline for the Spring term (August Residency) is February 1st of each year. The Master of Development Practice (MDP) program will consider late applications up to April 1stof each year, for the Spring term (August Residency).
Applicants who apply by February 1st have the opportunity to apply for a financial need award in their first year.
- All post-secondary education (universities and colleges, including incomplete studies) must be declared on your application. This includes incomplete studies and transfer credit courses.
- A transcript for all post-secondary education institutions attended must be uploaded. This includes incomplete studies and transfer credit courses.
- Academic transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended (past or current) showing all courses and marks, along with the transcript legends/keys/grading scales must be uploaded using Quest. Degree certificates (if obtained) must be uploaded with the transcripts.
- Transcripts must be in the original language and include a certified translation if the transcript is not in English.
- Only one PDF file per institution can be uploaded (if you completed more than one degree at the same institution, both transcripts must be in a single file).
Statement of Interest (SIF):
- Complete the form online using Quest. The form can be saved multiple times, then finally submitted.
- Questions are program-specific.
- The form times-out after 10 minutes of inactivity, so prepare your answers in advance.
- The SIF has word count of 500 words, but some software programs (i.e. Microsoft Word) may increase word counts based on additional characters. You can re-count your words by using a word-count website or edit your answers to have fewer words.
- Two letters of reference
- One from an academic referee and one from a professional referee.
- At least one of the reference letters must attest to the leadership competencies of the applicant.
- If you have been out of school for an extended period of time, you may select a non-academic referee who can attest to you academic potential.
A current curriculum vitae (résumé)
- The résumé should focus on work and volunteer experience.
- Applicants do not need to restate their educational experience.
English Language Proficiency Test will be required if:
Applicants have not completed three or more years of post-secondary work at a Canadian institution or a university at which English was the primary language of instruction.
Or, applicants have not completed a graduate degree at a university where English is the primary language of instruction.
Or, applicants have not been employed for a similar period of time in a position in which English was the primary language of business.
Such applicants will be required to provide certification of English language proficiency through one of the accepted examinations. Please review Academic Regulations - English Language Proficiency Certification for other acceptable tests of English.
Permanent resident card or record of landing:
- Permanent Residents of Canada are required to upload a PDF of their Permanent Residence Card (front and back) or Record of Landing form (IMM 1000).
Note: If there is a discrepancy between this site and the Graduate Studies Calendar, please refer to the latter for the most accurate information.