Let's get ready to graduate!
You will find all the information to be prepared for graduation on the Convocation website. Please contact your academic advisor if you have any questions about meeting your degree requirements.
On this page:
To help you prepare for every step toward graduation, all students in 3A/3B General Science and 4A/4B Science degree programs will be sent an email series over the Fall and Winter terms. These email newsletters will capture important dates, highlight events, and suggest campus resources to support your transition to becoming alumni.
Back to top
|If you have any questions, please email Newschool Photography at email@example.com.|
Newschool Photography is our exclusive photographer for graduating Science students. Grad photos are taken during the Fall term (November and December) to help prepare for class composites. Appointments are booked with Newschool Photography. Questions can be directed to Newschool Photography.
Don't delay any longer! Extra spots have been added for Winter 2023 and are filling up quickly! Book your photos now!
Back to top
Submitting the Application to Graduate Form
In your final academic term, you must complete the Application to Graduate form online (previously known as the Intention to Graduate form). Please note the deadlines below:
Spring Convocation (June)
- December 1: if requirements are completed during the fall term
- March 1: if requirements are completed during the winter term
Fall Convocation (October)
- August 15: if requirements are completed during the spring term
The position of Class Valedictorian is an honoured one, and we encourage members of the graduating class to nominate their colleagues. The ability to organize and present a speech in a clear and persuasive manner is important, but the Valedictorian must also be a worthy and excellent representative of the graduating classes. The Valedictorian is expected to address Convocation for a maximum of five minutes with a speech that is distinctive and unique in content.
1. Fill in the Valedictorian Nomination Form 2023 (PDF). Submit forms to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, February 19th. Nominees need signatures from at least five members of the graduating class. Please note that nominators will be contacted via email to confirm their nominations.
2. Write a 200-300 word submission to support the Valedictorian Nomination Form. This written piece should explain why you are an excellent representative of the graduating class. Please include this submission with the Nomination Form.
3. Write a Valedictory speech. Each confirmed nominee will need to prepare the speech that they would deliver at the Science Convocation Ceremony in June.
4. Present your Valedictorian speech at the Selection Committee meeting. The nominees will present their speech to a selection committee composed of graduating science students. The selection meeting will be held during the week of March 13th. More details about the speech requirements will be provided to the nominees after the nomination period has closed.
5. Prepare for the Graduating Student Send-Off. The successful candidates for Valedictorian will be announced to the graduating class at a reception held on April 5, where they will be asked to address their peers with a modified version of the valedictory speech.
June 2023 Valedictorian:
Two graduating Science students will be selected to speak on behalf of the entire Science graduating class for the June convocation. One will speak during the morning ceremony, while the other will speak in the afternoon ceremony.
Valedictorian Selection Committee - June 2022 Convocation
The selection committee is comprised of up to 15 current Science undergraduate students who have applied to graduate for Convocation held in June, as well as some staff and faculty members. The selection committee will judge the nominees based on their performed speeches and written submission to support their nomination. If you'd like to join the selection committee, please email email@example.com with your name, student number, and program of study by Sunday, February 19th.
Graduating Student Send-Off
|Class of 2023: More information about the event will be provided in the Graduation Newsletter in March.|
All graduating undergraduate Science students are invited to attend a reception called the Graduating Student Send-off. This year the reception is scheduled for April 5 from 4-6pm.
Stay tuned for more details in your Graduation Newsletter!
Science and Waterloo Alumni Communities
Keep in touch with our Science Alumni team, the UWaterloo e-community, or UWaterloo Alumni Relations.