The Bursary for Students with Disabilities program (BSWD), which is funded through the provincial and federal governments, provides aid to eligible students self-identifying as having either permanent disability or persistent or prolonged disability. The bursary assists with the costs of disability-related services or equipment, such as tutors, note-takers, interpreters, brailler or technical aids that are required to participate in post-secondary studies.
- Students must have applied and be eligible for at least $1 of calculated federal and/or provincial need through one of the following financial aid programs: full-time OSAP or part-time Canada Student Loans and Grants.
- Have an approved OSAP Disability Verification form on OSAP profile which confirms the student has either permanent disability or persistent or prolonged disability.
- Have disability-related educational costs for services or equipment that are not covered by another agency or service, and require these services/equipment to participate in post-secondary studies.
- Up to $22,000 per academic year:
- maximum $2,000 per year for the Ontario Bursary for Students with permanent disability or persistent or prolonged disability.
- maximum $20,000 per year from Canada Student Grant for Persons with permanent disability or persistent or prolonged disability.
- Apply to OSAP and have an approved OSAP Disability Verification form on OSAP profile which confirms the you have either permanent disability or persistent or prolonged disability.
- Meet with your AccessAbility Services Counsellor and/or the Adaptive Educational Technologist to identify the specific disability-related services or equipment you require.
- Provide any required supporting documentation to AccessAbility Services to verify your disability.
- Once your OSAP results are available, complete the BSWD application with your AccessAbility Counsellor who will identify the specific disability-related services or equipment to assist you.
- Student Awards and Financial Aid Office will review the application and ensure that you are eligible with the information and required documentation that was provided.
- Once completed, you will be notified by email advising you of the decision. Approved bursaries will be issued by direct deposit to the bank account listed on Quest.
Submission of receipts
Submit receipts by email for paid disability-related educational expenses to Student Awards and Financial Aid, attention Kerri-Lee Lewis email@example.com.
Receipts must specify the item and/or service, method of payment in full and date of payment. Invoices, quotes, or credit card statements will not be accepted. Always keep a copy of the receipts that you submit.
Receipts submitted for services and equipment that were not listed on the BSWD application cannot be accepted. Any changes to the items on the application must be discussed with your AccessAbility Counsellor.
Deadline to submit receipts are as follows:
- Equipment and/or software receipts are due no later than 30 days after the bursary is issued.
- Receipts for Services are due no later than 30 days after the end of your study period.
If receipts are not provided and/or you don’t use all of the funds provided to you in your study period, you must return the unused funding. Failure to do so may result in you being restricted from receiving any further OSAP funding, including the Bursary for Student with Disabilities (BSWD).