WAT's Sustainable, Waterloo? Welcome to the official Sustainability's Office's official podcast: WAT's Sustainable?
Happy Earth Day! On Episode 04 of the podcast, we answer the question: WAT is Earth Day? We go through the history of this international event and it's current scale, what it aims to achieve, some of the criticisms you may hear and ways that you can celebrate Earth Day virtually this year.
- Earth Day 2021 three-day virtual event
- About Earth Day and the EarthDay.org organization
- Apple and Starbucks' Earth Day Challenges
- Sustainability Office's 2021 Earth Month Challenge
- Sustainability Office blog post: The history of Earth Day
- 2nd Annual Earth Day Reconciliation Tree Plant on April 18th
- Organizations to volunteer with: Reep Green Solutions, Sustainable Waterloo Region, Rare Charitable Research Reserve
Ways to celebrate Earth Day this year
- Get outside
- Volunteer and/or join a student club
- Save electricity by turning off lights/appliances when not in use
- Plant pollinator-friendly plants
- Only run dishwasher + laundry with full loads at off-peak times
- Donate (money, items or time) to a local charity/organization
Download the transcription with time stamps and resources. A .txt version of the transcript is also available for accessibility (scroll to bottom of page).
We want to hear from you!
Do you have any ideas or topics you'd like us to cover, accessibility concerns or feedback on a particular episode? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.