By 2025, increase from 5% to 25% the proportion of university departments that are Green Office certified
The Green Labs pilot is a way for staff, students, and faculty to be a part of the change they want to see at the University of Waterloo. Participants can:
- Learn new skills
- Build relationships across campus
- Make a positive impact on campus sustainability
- Achieve certification for your department
The pilot has begun in Spring of 2021 to evaluate successes, challenges, and resources required. If you would like like to learn more and participate in this program, email the Sustainability Engagement Coordinator. The Green Labs Overview (PDF) is available for download for more information.
The Green Labs program is grassroots-driven. It supports ambassadors from participating labs to walk through five steps to improve the sustainability of their lab space(s):
- Ambassador: this step empowers department champions
- Check: ambassadors evaluate current practices
- Pledge: members of the lab sign a participation pledge
- Action: labs complete 5 foundational actions and implement new practices in their department over time
- Certification: labs receive recognition for their efforts
Ambassadors can access the following tools to help them make these changes:
- Ambassador network: discussion board and events with like-minded champions from across campus who are also supporting efforts in their own areas
- Resource toolkit: a set of templates, best-practice guides, and communication materials, as well as ongoing support from sustainability staff
- Recognition: a common scorecard to help identify new project opportunities and receive a Level 1, 2, 3, or 4 designation for your office
Have questions? Please reach out to the Sustainability Engagement Coordinator.
As of November 2021:
- Velocity (34 points)
- Ecology Lab (33 points)
- Quantum-Nano Fabrication and Characterization Facility (QNFC) (30 points)
As of November 2021:
The following departments are participating in the Green Office program and have received certification under the Platinum, Gold, Silver, or Bronze designation. They are listed in alphabetical order in each category, with the number of employees included in brackets.
You can explore individual scorecard submissions in the chart below by using the Department and Year filters.
Accessibility accomodations: Data Sheet