By 2025, increase from 5% to 25% the proportion of university departments that are Green Office certified
The Green Labs pilot is a way for staff, students, and faculty to be a part of the change they want to see at the University of Waterloo. Participants can:
- Learn new skills
- Build relationships across campus
- Make a positive impact on campus sustainability
- Achieve certification for your department
The pilot has begun in Spring of 2021 to evaluate successes, challenges, and resources required. If you would like like to learn more and participate in this program, email the Sustainability Engagement Coordinator. The Green Labs Overview (PDF) is available for download for more information.
Please note that this program is intended for dry and wet labs, teaching and research labs.
How it works
The Green Labs program is grassroots-driven. It supports ambassadors from participating labs to walk through five steps to improve the sustainability of their lab space(s):
- Ambassador: this step empowers department champions
- Check: ambassadors evaluate current practices
- Pledge: members of the lab sign a participation pledge
- Action: labs complete 5 foundational actions and implement new practices in their department over time
- Certification: labs receive recognition for their efforts
Ambassadors can access the following tools to help them make these changes:
- Ambassador network: discussion board and events with like-minded champions from across campus who are also supporting efforts in their own areas
- Resource toolkit: a set of templates, best-practice guides, and communication materials, as well as ongoing support from sustainability staff
- Recognition: a common scorecard to help identify new project opportunities and receive a Level 1, 2, 3, or 4 designation for your office
- Support structures: the Sustainability Office will provide resources, check-ins, training and financial support to tackle action items
Are you hoping to support sustainaility in your lab? Interested in learning more? Contact us!
As of November 2022:
The following departments are participating in the Green Labs program and have received certification under the Level 1, 2, 3 or 4 designation. You can explore individual scorecard submissions in the chart below by using the Department and Year filters.
- Ecology Lab (Level 3)
- Quantum-Nano Fabrication and Characterization Facility (QNFCF) (Level 3)
Accessibility accommodations: Green Labs Master Scorecard Tracking (Excel spreadsheet)