Starting March 6th, the Region of Waterloo is changing the way that waste is collected. To ensure your garbage is collected properly and to keep our community and neighbourhoods clean, please review the following information.
What is changing?
As of March 6th, the following changes will take place:
- Garbage will be collected every two weeks, instead of every week.
- There are limits to the number of garbage bags you can place on the curb for collection, depending on the type of building you live in. Bags beyond the limit will not be collected.
- You can purchase additional tags for extra bags, if necessary.
- Blue bin recycling and green bin organic waste will continue to be collected every week, with no limits as long as you are using appropriate bins.
Who does this impact?
The changes will impact any student or employee living off campus who:
- Lives in a single-family home or town home, or a building with up to six units, and
- Is located in Waterloo, Kitchener, Cambridge, or the surrounding townships
If you are in an apartment building with seven or more units, these changes should not affect you unless your landlord has communicated otherwise.
Why is this happening?
These changes are meant to increase the lifespan of the local landfill and contain the long-term costs of waste management within the Region. They also encourage better use of the blue bin and green bin for recycling and food waste.
How can I stay within bag limits?
Reduce your waste, reuse items when possible, and recycle.
- Use your blue bin and green bins! You can put these out every week, so make sure you recycle and put food waste in the green bin so it is not sitting in your house for two weeks.
- Try cutting down on your waste wherever possible by reducing packaging and buying reusable products.
Where can I find more information?
Students are encouraged to look at the following resources:
- For full information on the waste changes, your collection schedule, and to learn more about the blue and green bin programs, please review the Region of Waterloo’s Waste Management website.
- Students are also strongly encouraged to talk to your landlord to see if the changes affect your place of residence, and what additional resources your landlord may be able to provide.