You are here

Waste oil policy in Ontario; Current practices & future application

TitleWaste oil policy in Ontario; Current practices & future application
Publication TypeMiscellaneous
Year of Publication2004
AuthorsLucas, A., P. MacLean, and A. Milligan
Keywordsenvironment, oil recycling, petroleum waste discharge, waste, waste impacts
Abstract

The World Environment Conference held in Kyoto in 1997 confirmed the drastic need to reduce petroleum waste discharge into the environment. It was estimated that less than 45% of available waste oil was being collected world-wide in 1995. The remaining 55% was either misused or discharged by the end user in the environment. With this in mind, the treatment and reuse of oils can provide a suitable way for waste-oil management by promoting energy conservation and environmental stewardship throughout the world. Throughout the policy paper, the ecological and human impacts associated with waste oil will be examined. Current waste oil recycling practices will also be observed in order to gain a better perspective on the various waste oil collection techniques that are implemented both globally and domestically. Finally, Ontario’s recent draft plan, dated March 15, 2004, which outlines Ontario’s plan for dealing with waste oil, will be assessed as to its potential success and recommendations for improvement for the final copy… For full text, please e-mail sustainability@uwaterloo.ca