Engineering 5, 6th Floor
519-888-4567, Extension 32600
The Department of Systems Design Engineering grants the following graduate degrees. See each program for the minimum G.P.A., course and milestone requirements.
- Master of Engineering (MEng)
- Master of Applied Science (MASc)
- Accelerated Master's Program
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- Collaborative program in Nanotechnology
The Department and Graduate Studies web sites provide information designed to help applicants determine their eligibility for admission.
Requests for pre-evaluation cannot be accommodated and will be redirected to formally apply online. Only complete applications will be reviewed and considered for admission.
Exceptional MASc applicants may be considered for direct-entry to the PhD program from a bachelor’s program. Applicants interested in being considered for a direct-entry PhD should include a statement to that effect in their Supplementary Information Form (SIF). Applicants who will be considered for direct-entry to the PhD program will be contacted by a representative from the Department within two months of the application deadline.
- Applicants should apply before the applicable application deadline in order to ensure all supporting documents can be uploaded and received at Waterloo by the deadline.
- Applicants are not required to secure a Supervisor(s) prior to applying for admission. However, We suggest that you apply, upload all materials and then start the process of trying to make contact with faculty members in the research area(s) that you are interested in. You can contact a faculty member to be your prospective supervisor through our official form.
- A valid Offer of Admission is one that is sent from the Graduate Studies Office to the student's UW QUEST account.
- Application & admission
- Application Deadlines
- Registration & enrolment
- Awards & funding and other information
- GRS (Graduate Research Studentship) Minimum Funding
- International Students
- Study and living costs and other information
- English Language Proficiency
- ESL Courses (English as a Second Language)
- English Language Studies
Students officially admitted to SYDE should refer to the Powerpoint slides located under Current graduate students - left navigation.