The Foundation Term is designed to provide students who are academically at-risk an opportunity to build the skills necessary to succeed in their university studies.
You’ll take a maximum of 3 on campus courses (on-line courses are not permitted) – the 3 courses below will count toward your degree if you successfully complete the Foundation Term;
- University (UNIV) 101
- English (ENGL) 140R – to help with academic writing
- Students will rank their choices using the Ranking Form (below) for the third course in order of preference from the following approved courses:
- Students may not repeat any courses previously taken.
What is University 101?
University 101 is a 0.5 unit course taken as part of the Foundation Term.
How can University 101 - Foundation Term help?
Skill development to help you to be successful in university-level studies:
- time management and organization
- studying and writing papers
- self awareness and critical thinking
- note taking and reading
What can I expect in UNIV 101?
- Practical Assignments
- Hands On Lectures / Workshops that:
- Show you new skills and strategies
- Allow you to apply and practice them
- Give you feedback on how to be more successful in the future
What are the conditions I have to meet to be part of the Foundation Term?
The Foundation Term is only open to students who have been given an academic standing decision of "failed, required to withdraw" in their first year and have been away from studies for at least 1 term before enrolling in the Foundation Term.
Deadline to apply - Fall 2017: June 30, 2017
In order to be considered for enrolment into the Foundation Term you should first speak with your Academic Advisor about your options.
If you choose to pursue the Foundation Term you must complete and submit THREE documents to Devon Hutchinson by e-mail or drop them off at PAS 2439 by the deadline.
What are the conditions to pass the Foundation Term?
- You must achieve a minimum 60% in UNIV 101
- You must pass ENGL 140R and your other Arts course, and achieve an average of at least 65% in these two courses.
What if I don’t meet the conditions?
Not meeting the conditions is very serious. You will not be permitted to continue your studies. You will be given the following academic decision: “Failed, may not continue in Faculty" which means future enrollment will not be permitted for a minimum of 5 years.
Please contact Devon Hutchinson if you have questions about the foundation term.