Are you interested in volunteering at the Center for Community, Clinical and Applied Research Excellence (CCCARE) with our research teams and/or programs? CCCARE offers numerous opportunities to get involved with your university and your community.
Due to the limited number of volunteer spots available in our CCCARE programs, as of Fall 2021 we will be prioritizing matching placements from current Faculty of Health students (i.e. students Majoring in Kinesiology, Health Studies, Public Health, or Recreation & Leisure Studies) however we will continue to accept applications from student from other Faculties.
If you are interested in volunteering with CCCARE, fill out our volunteer form prior to the start of each new term .
Virtual Volunteer Opportunities - Spring 2021
Please note, due to the evolving situation with COVID-19 we are currently unable to offer in-person volunteer opportunities. However, we were pleased to offer more than 30 virtual volunteer placements for our community exercise programs during the Spring 2021 term.
We are currently planning a virtual social Trivia event for Tuesday August 10th, 2021 from 6:30-8:30 pm for our community members. Any volunteer who filled out the volunteer form and indicated interest in Spring 2021 opportunities will be contact by email to learn more.
In-person volunteering still on hold, fill out the volunteer form below to apply for virtual opportunities:
Some of the in-person volunteer opportunities (currently virtual) that are typically available each term, are as follows:
- UW WELL-FIT cancer exercise programs
- This program offers students the opportunity to work one-on-one with cancer patients. Volunteers help these individuals with their exercise programs, aiding them with proper form and perhaps most importantly, keeping up their motivation.
- We look for volunteers who show initiative, are attentive and observant, upbeat, friendly, positive and social as we want to create a safe and comfortable atmosphere for participants in this program. We require a firm commitment of 1 hour per week for a semester at a time (we expect you to be there every week unless you are sick).
- Teens In Motion
- A limited number of volunteer positions are reserved for our Teens In Motion program. We look for upper year volunteers who have previous experience working with teens and our other clinical programs. Please note that Teens In Motion volunteer positions are no longer listed on the volunteer registration form. If you are interested in applying for a volunteer position for Teens In Motion and have volunteered extensively with our programs in the past, please contact our Fitness Staff directly.
- Brain & Body
- This program offers students the opportunity to work one-on-one with clients living with any form of dementia (including those with mild cognitive impairment) and their care partners. Volunteers help these individuals with their exercise programs, aiding them with proper form and keeping up their motivation.
- A limited number of experienced volunteers will be considered for this specialized program, working one-on-one with individuals post-stroke. Please note, the STEPS program is not listed on the volunteer form as spots are typically reserved for senior level volunteers and hand-selected by our staff.
- Hardy Hearts
- This program offers students the opportunity to work hands on with cardiac patients. Volunteers lead the exercise sessions, monitor the patient's heart rates and blood pressures as well as offer input on the patient's exercise programs.
- Research participants or assistants
- Volunteering for research studies as either participants or volunteer assistants provides students with a unique opportunity to learn about research methods and techniques in a variety of Kinesiology related fields including neuroscience, biomechanics, and physiology.
- Maintain professionalism when interacting with CCCARE members and staff
- Participate in mandatory orientation training sessions
- Positively represent CCCARE and our core values on campus and in the Waterloo community, representing the high-quality leaders that CCCARE attracts
- Understand the responsibility of the role you are undertaking
- Apply your knowledge to exercise demonstration and supervision in CCCARE exercise classes
- Reflect on your volunteer experience, considering what you’ve learned through your participation in program delivery
- Commit to volunteering one term at a time. It is expected that students will select a shift and spend 1 hour/week volunteering in CCCARE exercise classes
- Students are responsible for communicating their absence and seeking a shift replacement
Fall 2021 Volunteer Form
Please complete the volunteer form to apply and be added to the waitlist for 2021/2022 and we will be in touch to discuss these opportunities further with you, when available. We will contact you with specific instructions for your program(s) of interest after the submission deadline in the schedule below. As volunteer placements are limited, priorities will be given to students who complete the volunteer form in advance of the deadline.
|Term||Volunteer forms due by|
*Due to COVID-19 closures we are not operating in-person exercise programming. Be sure to complete the volunteer form to add your name to the waitlist for when in-person volunteer opportunities resume or apply for virtual opportunities.
We will continue to accept volunteer form submissions throughout the term however, our volunteer positions fill fast and you may be added to a wait list. Please note, orientation training may be required. Dates and instructions for orientation will be communicated in advance to those who receive placements.
If you are unsure if you selected the upcoming term or program of interest on previous submissions of your volunteer form or if your contact information has changed and needs to be updated, you may resubmit a volunteer form more than once.