Peter Douglas is a Professor of Chemical Engineering at the University of Waterloo. He has also been the Associate Dean of Undergraduate Studies, Director of the University of Waterloo United Arab Emirates Campus in Dubai, Associate Dean of Engineering (Computing), and the Associate Dean of Engineering (Graduate Studies). Professor Douglas was a founding member of WISE the Waterloo Institute for Sustainable Energy at UWaterloo.
His primary research area of interest is in the development and application of PSE technology to industrial processes, including process modelling, simulation, control and optimization. He is working on simulation and optimization issues related to the mitigation and capture of carbon dioxide from large scale emitters. He is not accepting new students.
Professor Douglas has consulted on a worldwide basis for many clients and has worked in Canada, Australia, Malaysia, Thailand, the UAE. Additionally, he is a co-inventor of the Dryer Master online measurement and control systems for the food processing industry; such systems are finding widespread use in Canada, USA, Europe, and Asia.
In addition to his research work, Professor Douglas has co-authored more than 200 related research publications and has supervised more than 80 postgraduate students.
- Process Systems Engineering (PSE)
- Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS)
- Process Simulation
- Optimization and Control
- Energy Planning
- 1981, Doctorate, Chemical Engineering, University of Waterloo
- 1977, Master's, Chemical Engineering, University of Waterloo
- 1974, Bachelor's, Chemical Engineering, University of Waterloo
- CHE 420 - Intro to Process Control
- Taught in 2016, 2018
- CHE 516 - Energy Systems Engineering
- Taught in 2017, 2019
- CHE 725 - Res Tpcs in Chem Proc Analysis
- Taught in 2018
- A. Shalaby, A. Elkamel, P.L. Douglas, Q. Zhu, and Q.P. Zheng, “A machine learning approach for modeling and optimization of a CO2 post-combustion capture unit”, Energy, 215, art. no. 119113, (2021). (Accepted in 2020)
- Hamadeh H., Toor S.Y, Douglas P.L., Sarathy M., Dibble R.W. and Croiset E., Techno-Economic Analysis of Pressurized Oxy-Fuel Combustion of Petroleum Coke, Energies, 13(13), 3463-3474, 2020. (Accepted in 2020)
- Alie, C., Elkamel, A., Douglas, P.L. and Croiset, E., Reduced-order modelling of flexible CCS and assessment using short-term resource scheduling approach, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 48, 2016, 253 - 274
- Ahmadi, Lena and Elkamel, Ali and Abdul-Wahab, Sabah A and Pan, Michael and Croiset, Eric and Douglas, Peter L and Entchev, Evgueniy, Multi-period optimization model for electricity generation planning considering plug-in hybrid electric vehicle penetration, Energies, 8(5), 2015, 3978 - 4002
- Alie, Colin and Elkamel, Ali and Croiset, Eric and Douglas, Peter L, Using short-term resource scheduling for assessing effectiveness of CCS within electricity generation subsector, AIChE Journal, 61(12), 2015, 4210 - 4234
- Ahmadi, Lena and Croiset, Eric and Elkamel, Ali and Douglas, Peter L and Entchev, Evgueniy and Abdul-Wahab, Sabah A and Yazdanpanah, Pedram, Effect of socio-economic factors on EV/HEV/PHEV adoption rate in Ontario, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 98, 2015, 93 - 104
- Ahmed, Sajjad and Elsholkami, Mohamed and Elkamel, Ali and Du, Juan and Ydstie, Erik B and Douglas, Peter L, New technology integration approach for energy planning with carbon emission considerations, Energy Conversion and Management, 95, 2015, 170 - 180
- Chansomwong, Atchariya and Douglas, Peter L and Croiset, Eric and Zanganeh, Kourosh and Shafeen, Ahmed and Ricardez-Sandoval, Luis, Control of An Oxy-fuel Capture and Purification Unit For Coal-Based Power Plants, Energy Procedia, 63, 2014, 476 - 483
- Nittaya, Thanita and Douglas, Peter L and Croiset, Eric and Ricardez-Sandoval, Luis A, Dynamic modelling and control of MEA absorption processes for CO2 capture from power plants, Fuel, 116, 2014, 672 - 691
- Nittaya, Thanita and Douglas, Peter L and Croiset, Eric and Ricardez-Sandoval, Luis A, Dynamic modeling and evaluation of an industrial-scale CO2 capture plant using monoethanolamine absorption processes, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 53(28), 2014, 11411 - 11426
- Chansomwong, Atchariya and Zanganeh, KE and Shafeen, A and Douglas, PL and Croiset, E and Ricardez-Sandoval, LA, Dynamic modelling of a CO2 capture and purification unit for an oxy-coal-fired power plant, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 22, 2014, 111 - 122
- Mudhasakul, Sarntharm and Ku, Hong-ming and Douglas, Peter L, A simulation model of a CO2 absorption process with methyldiethanolamine solvent and piperazine as an activator, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 15, 2013, 134 - 141
- Harun, Noorlisa and Nittaya, Thanita and Douglas, Peter L and Croiset, Eric and Ricardez-Sandoval, Luis A, Dynamic simulation of MEA absorption process for CO2 capture from power plants, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 10, 2012, 295 - 309
- Harun, Noorlisa and Douglas, Peter L and Ricardez-Sandoval, Luis and Croiset, Eric, Dynamic simulation of MEA absorption processes for CO2 capture from fossil fuel power plant, Energy Procedia, 4, 2011, 1478 - 1485
- Ricardez-Sandoval, Luis A and Douglas, PL and Budman, HM, A methodology for the simultaneous design and control of large-scale systems under process parameter uncertainty, Computers & chemical engineering, 35(2), 2011, 307 - 318
- Tuhin Poddar, Ali Elkamel, Peter L. Douglas, Ali Almansoori, Flexible Operation of Polygeneration Energy Systems with Renewable Energy, 4th North American Conference on Industrial Engineering & Operations Management, 10 2019, Toronto, Ontario. (Accepted in 2019)
- Mohammed Alkatheri, Ali Elkamel and Peter L Douglas, Data-driven Power Generation Design and Operation Under Demand Uncertainty, 4th North American Conference on Industrial Engineering & Operations Management, 10 2019, Toronto, Ontario. (Accepted in 2019)
- Tuhin Poddar, Ali, Elkamel, Ali Almansoori, Peter L. Douglas, A Snapshot Model for the Design and Operation of a Polygeneration Energy System with Renewable Energy, PSE Asia 2019: 8th International Symposium on Design, Operation and Control of Chemical Processes, 01 2018, Bangkok, Thailand. (Accepted in 2018)
- Majd Tabbara, Peter L. Douglas & Eric Croiset, Real Impact of CO2 Utilization: A Dynamic LCA Approach, Canadian Conference of Chemical Engineering, 10 2018, Toronto. (Accepted in 2018)
- Currently considering applications from graduate students. A completed online application is required for admission; start the application process now.