Carl T. Haas is a Professor in the Civil and Environmental Engineering department at the University of Waterloo. He is also a University Research Chair.
Professor Haas’s research, teaching, and consulting are in the areas of construction human-robotic systems, infrastructure computer vision, capital projects process analytics, construction productivity, and circular economy in the built environment. Professor Haas’s research has been supported by numerous companies and agencies such as OPG, Aecon, Dupont, the Construction Industry Institute (CII), NSF, and the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC).
He has over 400 publications including over 185 refereed journal articles. With Ioannis Brilakis at the University of Cambridge, he co-edited Infrastructure Computer Vision. He serves on a number of editorial boards and on professional committees for organizations such as ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers), NSERC and IAARC. He is a member of the Canadian Academy of Engineering and a Fellow of the ASCE. He was elected to the US National Academy of Construction in 2013. He received the ASCE Peurifoy Construction Research Award In 2015. In 2017, he received the University of Waterloo Award of Excellence in Graduate Supervision. In 2019, he received the ASCE Computing in Civil Engineering Award and the Canadian Society of Civil Engineers’ Alan Russell Award.
- Digital twins
- Augmented and virtual reality
- Automated 3-D Reconstruction
- Augmenting the Capabilities of EPPM Systems
- Construction Productivity Analysis
- Additive manufacturing
- Advanced robotics
- Digital design and fabrication technologies
- Environmental issues and new material economies
- Human movement
- Human factors (Ergonomics)
- Image processing and data analytics
- Wearable technology
- Smart buildings
- Information systems
- Drinking water
- Waste water management
- Operational Artificial Intelligence
- Smart Infrastructure
- 1990, Doctorate, Civil Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University
- 1986, Master's, Civil Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University
- 1985, Bachelor's, Systems Design Engineering, University of Waterloo
- CIVE 700 - Topics in Structural Engineering
- Taught in 2020, 2021, 2022
* Only courses taught in the past 5 years are displayed.
- Rehan, R., Knight, M.A.’ Haas, C. T., and Unger, J. A., Development of a system dynamics model for financially sustainable management of municipal watermain networks, Water Research, 47(20), 2013, 7184 - 7205
- Seo J. W., Haas C., Saidi K., Graphical modeling and simulation for design and control of a tele-operated clinker clearing robot, Automation in Construction, 2007, 96 - 106
- Chong, Wai Kiong, Haas, C. and Kim, S., , Benchmarking for Project Development Sustainability Practices, CSCE 1st International Construction Specialty Conference, Calgary, Canada, (Submitted) May 23-26, 2006., , 2006
- Caron, F., Haas C., Vanheeghe, P., and Fuflos, E., A Dempster-Shafer Formulation for Processing Uncertainty and Imprecision in Proximity Measurements, Revue Traitement du Signal, 2006
- Grau, D., Caldas, C., and Haas, C., , âUsing Global Positioning System to Improve Materials-Locating Processes on Industrial Projects,â ASCE J. of Construction Engineering and Management Volume 132, Issue 7, July 2006, pp. 741-749., , 2006
- Kim, C., Haas, C., Liapi, K., and Caldas, C., , âHuman-Assisted Obstacle Avoidance System Using 3D Workspace Modeling for Construction Equipment Operation,â ASCE J. Comp. in Civ. Engrg., Volume 20, Issue 3, (May/June 2006), pp. 177-186., , 2006
In the news
- Currently considering applications from graduate students. A completed online application is required for admission; start the application process now.