Carl T. Haas is a Professor in the Civil and Environmental Engineering department at the University of Waterloo. He is currently a Tier 1 Canada Research Chair in Construction and Management of sustainable infrastructure.
Professor Haas’s research, teaching, and consulting are in the areas of advanced construction and transportation technology, sustainability, and construction productivity. He is interested in 3D machine vision and modelling, data fusion, and robotics, while also applying the fundamentals of optimization, graph theory, statistical analysis, discrete event simulation, system dynamics modelling, process modelling and management, and decision theory. Professor Haas’s research has been supported by numerous companies and agencies such as Coreworx, Aecon, Dupont, the Construction Industry Institute (CII), the Texas Department of Transportation, Ontario Ministry of Transportation, NSF, and the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC).
He has over 350 publications including over 140 refereed journal articles. Professor Haas also holds the patent “Pole Inserting Robotic Mechanism for Accessing the Interior of a Harsh Enclosure”.
He serves on a number of editorial boards and professional committees including the Construction Industry Institute’s Research Committee and several journal editorial boards. Currently, he is a Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering, the American Society of Civil Engineers, and the US National Academy of Construction.
- Automated 3-D Reconstruction
- Augmenting The Capabilities Of EPPM Systems
- Construction Productivity Analysis
- Additive Manufacturing
- Advanced Robotics
- Digital Design And Fabrication Technologies
- Environmental Issues And New Material Economies
- Human Movement
- Human Factors (Ergonomics)
- Image Processing And Data Analytics
- Wearable Technology
- Smart Buildings
- Information Systems
- Drinking Water
- Waste Water Management
- 1990, Doctorate, Civil Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University
- 1986, Master's, Civil Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University
- 1985, Bachelor's, Systems Design Engineering, University of Waterloo
- CIVE 398 - Seminar
- CIVE 700 - Topics in Structural Engineering
- CIVE 497 - Special Topics in Civil Engineering
- CIVE 399 - Seminar
- CIVE 332 - Civil Systems and Project Management
- Rehan, R., Knight, M.A.’ Haas, C. T., and Unger, J. A., Development of a system dynamics model for financially sustainable management of municipal watermain networks, Water Research, 47(20), 2013, 7184 - 7205
- Shadpour, A.; Unger A.J., Knight, M.A; Haas, C. T., A Numerical DAE Approach for Solving a System Dynamics Problem, ASCE's Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, 2013
- Rehan, R., Knight, M.A.' Haas, C. T., and Unger, J. A., Financially sustainable management strategies for urban wastewater collection infrastructure - implementation of a system dynamics model., Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology UIR Special Edition, Elsevier, 2013
- R. Rehan, M.A. Knight,, A.J.A. Unger, C.T. Haas, Financially sustainable management strategies for urban wastewater collection infrastructure - development of a system dynamics model, Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology Trenchless Technology Special UIR Edition, 2013