Costa Kapsis is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Waterloo.
Costa’s research lies at the interface between science, engineering and architectural design with an emphasis on energy in buildings and communities. His research is focused on questions of energy efficiency, solar energy generation and energy transaction in the built environment. These research efforts aim towards the evolution of (i) building envelope technologies, (ii) climate-resilient cities and communities and (iii) energy integration between the building and transportation sectors.
Costa serves as an associated editor of the Architectural Engineering journal and co-leader of the IEA PVPS Task 15 Subtask C on the development of Building Integrated Photovoltaic (BIPV) technical guidelines.
- Solar energy
- Climate-resilient buildings and communities
- Building integrated photovoltaic (BIPV) and other advanced envelope technologies
- Electrification and decarbonization of the building sector
- Distributed energy resources (DER)
- Demand response (DR)
- Occupancy behaviour
- Smart grid
- 2016, Doctorate, Building Engineering, Concordia University
- 2009, Master of Applied Science, Building Engineering, Concordia University
- 2005, Bachelor of Science (BSc), Physics, University of Athens
- Kapsis, Konstantinos and Athienitis, Andreas and Harrison, Stephen, Determination of Solar Heat Gain Coefficients for Semitransparent Photovoltaic Windows: An Experimental Study., ASHRAE Transactions, 123, 2017
- Kapsis, Konstantinos and Athienitis, Andreas K, A study of the potential benefits of semi-transparent photovoltaics in commercial buildings, Solar Energy, 115, 2015, 120 - 132
- Temby, Owen and Kapsis, Konstantinos and Berton, Harris and Rosenbloom, Daniel and Gibson, Geoffrey and Athienitis, Andreas and Meadowcroft, James, Building-integrated photovoltaics: distributed energy development for urban sustainability, Environment: Science and Policy for Sustainable Development, 56(6), 2014, 4 - 17
- O'Brien, William and Kapsis, Konstantinos and Athienitis, Andreas K, Manually-operated window shade patterns in office buildings: A critical review, Building and Environment, 60, 2013, 319 - 338