Professor DIPANJAN BASU is an Associate Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Waterloo (Waterloo, ON, Canada). Prior to his current appointment, Professor Basu was an Assistant Professor at the University of Connecticut (Storrs, CT, U.S.A.). He was also a Postdoctoral Researcher at Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN, U.S.A.). Professor Basu received his Bachelors degree in Civil Engineering with honors from Jadavpur University (Kolkata, India). After a short stint as a Trainee Engineer in Development Consultants Limited (Kolkata, India), he joined the Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (Kanpur, India) from where he received his Master’s degree in Civil Engineering with specialization in Geotechnical Engineering. Subsequently, he joined Purdue University and obtained his second Master’s and Doctoral degrees.
Professor Basu has a broad research interest that includes Energy Geotechnics, Sustainability and Resilience Quantification in Geotechnical Engineering, Soil Constitutive Modeling, Foundations and Soil Structure Interaction, Blast Analysis of Geo-structures, Thermal Management of Rock Stress, Probabilistic Analysis, Soil Dynamics, and Ground Improvement. He has over seventy five publications in peer reviewed journals and conference proceedings. Professor Basu has delivered several invited and keynote lectures in the U.S.A., Canada, India, and Kazakhstan. He has also delivered short courses in the U.S.A. and Ethiopia.
Professor Basu is a member of Tau Beta Pi, and is a recipient of the Telford Premium Award (U.K.), Fugro Fellowship (U.S.A.), ExCEEd Teaching Fellowship (U.S.A.), and Prof. S. Neogi Award (India). He is the chair of the ISSMGE technical committee on Sustainability in Geotechnical Engineering, and vice-chairs of the ASCE-GI technical committee on Sustainability in Geotechnical Engineering and the CGS technical committee on Sustainable Geotechnics. Professor Basu served as an Associate Editor of the ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering.
- Soil Behavior
- Pile Foundations
- Constitutive Modeling
- Soil Structure Interaction
- Geothermal Energy
- Sustainability Assessment
- Soil Dynamics
- Load and Resistance Factor Design
- Ground Improvement
- Probabilistic Analysis
- Energy harvesting/bio-energy
- Energy storage
- Renewable energy
- 2006, Master's, Civil Engineering, Purdue University
- 2006, Doctorate, Civil Engineering, Purdue University
- 2001, Master's, Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
- 1997, Bachelor's, Civil Engineering, Jadavpur University
- CIVE 653 - Numerical Methods in Geomechanics
- Taught in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018
- CIVE 554 - Geotechnical Engineering 3
- Taught in 2014, 2016
- CIVE 750 - Topics in Geotechnical Engineering
- Taught in 2014, 2016
- CIVE 497 - Special Topics in Civil Engineering
- Taught in 2015, 2017
- CIVE 353 - Geotechnical Engineering 1
- Taught in 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- CIVE 400 - Civil Engineering Design Project 1
- Taught in 2018
- CIVE 354 - Geotechnical Engineering 2
- Taught in 2018
- Gupta, B. K. and Basu, D., Dynamic analysis of axially loaded end-bearing pile in a homogeneous viscoelastic soil, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, 111, 31-40., 2018
- Gupta, B. K. and Basu, D., Timoshenko beam theory based dynamic analysis of laterally loaded piles in multilayered viscoelastic soil, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE 144(9), 04018091., 2018
- Lee, M. and Basu, D., An integrated approach for resilience and sustainability in geotechnical engineering, Indian Geotechnical Journal, 48(2), 207-234, 2018
- Gupta, B. K. and Basu, D., Applicability of Timoshenko, Euler-Bernoulli, and rigid beam theories in analysis of laterally loaded monopiles and piles., Géotechnique (published online)., 2018
- Haldar, S., Sharma, J. and Basu, D., Probabilistic analysis of monopile-supported offshore wind turbine in clay, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, 105, 171-183., 2018
- Gupta, B. K. and Basu, D., Analysis of laterally loaded short and long piles in multilayered heterogeneous elastic soil, Soils and Foundations, 57, 92-110., 2017
- Gupta, Bipin Kumar and Basu, Dipanjan, Response of Laterally Loaded Rigid Monopiles and Poles in Multilayered Elastic Soil, Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 2016
- Gupta, Bipin K. and Basu, Dipanjan, Analysis of laterally loaded short and long piles in multilayered heterogeneous elastic Soil, Soils and Foundations
- Gupta, B. K. and Basu, D. (2016). “Analysis of laterally loaded rigid monopiles and poles in multilayered linearly varying soil.” Computers and Geotechnics, 72, 114-125. (Accepted in 2015)
- Haldar, S. and Basu, D. (2016). “Analysis of beams on heterogeneous and nonlinear soil.” International Journal of Geomechanics, ASCE (accepted). (Accepted in 2015)
- Basu, Dipanjan and Misra, Aditi and Puppala, Anand J, Sustainability and geotechnical engineering: perspectives and review, Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 52(1), 2014, 96 - 113
- Mishra, S., Chakraborty, T., Matsagar, V. and Basu, D., Experimental characterization of Himalayan limestone, Third International Conference on Rock Dynamics and Applications (RocDyn-3), 2018
- Elhuni, H. and Basu, D., A new soil structure interaction model for moving loads., 71th Canadian Geotechnical Conference - GeoEdmonton 2018, 2018
- Gupta, B. K. and Basu, D., Nonlinear elastic analysis of laterally loaded piles, 71th Canadian Geotechnical Conference – GeoEdmonton 2018, 2018
- Gupta, B. K. and Basu, D., Dynamic analysis of laterally loaded end-bearing piles in homogeneous viscoelastic soil using Timoshenko beam theory, International Foundations Congress and Equipment Expo (IFCEE) 2018, 2018
- Lee, M. and Basu, D., Environmental impacts of drilled shafts and driven piles in sand, International Foundations Congress and Equipment Expo (IFCEE) 2018, 2018
- Gupta, B. K. and Basu, D., Dynamic analysis of axially loaded pile embedded in homogeneous viscoelastic soil and resting on a rigid base, Indian Geotechnical Conference 2017 (GeoNEst), 2017
- Lee, M. and Basu, D., Assessing resilience and sustainability of transportation networks with geotechnical perspectives, 70th Canadian Geotechnical Conference - GeoOttawa 2017, 2017
- Roy, S., Sahu, R. B., Dan, K. and Basu, D., Time effect on ground deformation around braced excavation., Indian Geotechnical Conference 2017 (GeoNEst), 2017
- Gupta, B. K. and Basu, D., Dynamic analysis of rigid monopiles in multi-layered viscoelastic soil, 70th Canadian Geotechnical Conference - GeoOttawa 2017, 2017
- Basu, D. and Lee, M., A quantitative framework for sustainability and resilience in geotechnical engineering., Geotechnics for Natural and Engineered Sustainable technologies by Krishna, A. M., Dey, A. and Sreedeep, S. (Eds.), Springer, 399-411,
- “A Continuum-based Soil-Structure Interaction Analysis Framework for Shallow and Deep Foundations.” Invited Lecture at University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa, August 2018.
- “Recent Initiatives on Geothermal Energy Research at Waterloo.” Invited Lecture at 2018 Great Lakes SedHeat Incubator Workshop, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A., February 2018.
- “An Integrated Approach towards Sustainability and Resilience in Geotechnical Engineering.” Invited Lecture at Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India, August 2017.
- “Applicability of Timoshenko, Euler-Bernoulli, and Rigid Beam Theories in Analysis of Laterally Loaded Monopiles and Piles.” Invited Open Lecture at University of Cape Town, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa, July 2017.
- "Pile Foundations and Load and Resistance Factor Design.” Invited Lecture at Gitam University, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India, August 2017.
- "A Framework for Assessment of Sustainability and Resilience from a Geotechnical Perspective.” Invited Lecture at Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad, Kandi, Sangareddy, Telengana, India, March 2017.
- “Resistance Factor Development for LRFD of Axially Loaded Piles.” Invited Lecture at Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, Kharagpur, West Bengal, India, July 2017.
- Basu, D., Sustainability and Geotechnical Engineering, nvited Lecture at the Meeting of Kolkata Center of Indian Concrete Institute, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, West Bengal, India, June 2016.,
- Basu, D., Sustainability and Geotechnical Engineering, Invited Lecture at Development Consultants Limited, Salt Lake, Kolkata, West Bengal, India, June 2016.,
- Lord, F., Duhan, J., Lee, M., Miller, L., Basu, D., Dusseault, M. and Tharumalingam, A., First-order assessment of the potential of compressed air energy storage in salt caverns across Canada,
- Puppala, A. J., Basu, D., Cuisinier, O. and Das, J. T., General report of TC 307 - sustainability in geotechnical engineering,
- CIV5143Z Rock Mechanics (taught as a block course - August 27-31, 2018) at University of Cape Town, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
- CVL717 Plasticity and Constitutive Modeling of Soil with Applications in Finite Element Analysis (co-taught), Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, New Delhi, India, December 18-22, 2017 - offered under Global Initiative of Academic Networks (GIAN) program of Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India
- CIV5122Z Advanced Soil Mechanics (taught as a block course - July 17-21, 2017) - At University of Cape Town, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
- “An Integrated Soil Structure Interaction Framework for Static, Dynamic, Nonlinear, and Spatially Random Problems.” Keynote Lecture at the 15th Young Geotechnical Engineers Symposium, British Geotechnical Association, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey, U.K., July 2018.
- “A Quantitative Framework for Sustainability and Resilience in Geotechnical Engineering.” Invited Sub-theme Lecture at Indian Geotechnical Conference 2017 (GeoNEst), Guwahati, Assam, India, December 2017