Hyung-Sool Lee is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and is also the Director of the Waterloo Environmental Biotechnology Lab at the University of Waterloo.
His research mainly involves fundamentals and applications of Microbial Electrochemical Cells (MECs) for resource-recovering waste and wastewater treatment, bio-batteries, and biosensors. In addition, Professor Lee has worked for anaerobic membrane bioreactor, dark fermentation, and anaerobic methane oxidation coupled to denitrification.
As a result of his research work, Professor Lee has published over 90 journals and conference proceedings and holds 7 patents in total.
Hyung-Sool Lee is a member of the Waterloo Centre for Microbial Research (https://uwaterloo.ca/waterloo-centre-microbial-research/).
- Microbial fuel cells
- Microbial electrolysis cells
- Bioeduction of oxidized contaminants
- Thermodynamics in bacterial metabolism
- Kinetics in bacterial metabolisms
- Model development in biofilm systems
- Microbial ecology
- Bio-energy production
- Microbial ecology in engineered biological systems
- Model development for microbial reactions
- Production of bio-energy and bio-chemicals from biomass
- Nutrients recovery from organic waste and seawater
- Thermodynamic/kinetic analyses on microbial metabolisms in engineered and natural systems
- Electricity H2 and CH4
- 2005, Doctorate, Environmental Biotechnology; Bioenergy, Center for Environmental Biotechnology, Biodesign Institute, Arizona State University
- 2000, Master of Engineering, Environmental engineering; Biological nitrogen removal, Inha University
- 1998, Bachelor of Science (BSc), Environmental Engineering, Inha University
- CIVE 375 - Environmental Engineering Principles
- Taught in 2019, 2020, 2021
- CIVE 671 - Aquatic Chemistry
- Taught in 2019
- CIVE 770 - Topics in Environmental Engineering
- Taught in 2019, 2021
- ENVE 375 - Physico-Chemical Processes
- Taught in 2019, 2021
* Only courses taught in the past 5 years are displayed.
- Ren, Hao and Tian, He and Lee, Hyung-Sool and Park, Taejin and Leung, Frederick C and Ren, Tian-Ling and Chae, Junseok, Regulating the respiration of microbe: A bio-inspired high performance microbial supercapacitor with graphene based electrodes and its kinetic features, Nano Energy, 15, 2015, 697 - 708
- An, Junyeong and Kim, Bongkyu and Chang, In Seop and Lee, Hyung-Sool, Shift of voltage reversal in stacked microbial fuel cells, Journal of Power Sources, 278, 2015, 534 - 539
- Ju, SM and Pae, HO and Kim, WS and Kang, DG and Lee, HS and Jeon, BH, Role of reactive oxygen species in p53 activation during cisplatin-induced apoptosis of rat mesangial cells, European review for medical and pharmacological sciences, 18(8), 2014, 1135 - 1141
- An, Junyeong and Kim, Bongkyu and Jang, Jae Kyung and Lee, Hyung-Sool and Chang, In Seop, New architecture for modulization of membraneless and single-chambered microbial fuel cell using a bipolar plate-electrode assembly (BEA), Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 59, 2014, 28 - 34
- An, Junyeong and Lee, Hyung-Sool, Occurrence and implications of voltage reversal in stacked microbial fuel cells, ChemSusChem, 7(6), 2014, 1689 - 1695
- Currently considering applications from graduate students. A completed online application is required for admission; start the application process now.