Checklist for new graduate students

Welcome to the University of Waterloo. We are pleased that you have chosen to pursue your graduate studies in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CIVE). This page lists important action items to complete within your first week on campus.

If you have any questions, you are encouraged to consult with the Administrative Coordinator, Graduate Studies.

Pay your tuition fees

Student Fee information is available on the Student Financial Services website. There is information on fee schedules, due dates and late fees, how to pay your fees (including Promissory Note details), tax receipts, and contact information for questions about your account. Your up-to-date financial account information is available through Quest. If you require a letter of financial fees to obtain your student Visa please complete the following student fee estimator.

The University of Waterloo bills students on a per term basis.  For each academic term you are enrolled at Waterloo, you will need to attain the registered status "Fees Arranged."

Being "Fees Arranged" for the term means that you are fully registered for the term. You must make your own fee arrangements every term – your tuition is NOT automatically paid by your GRS. Your GRS should appear on Quest, but you must complete the Promissory Note to register and apply the GRS to your tuition. If you are expecting a GRS and it is not showing, please contact the Administrative Coordinator. 

Add banking information to Quest

Health and safety

All students in CEE must complete Health and Safety training. If you are a MASc or PhD student, you will not be allocated an office space until you complete and submit the training paperwork to the Department Assistant. MEng students should submit the appropriate paperwork to the Administrative Coordinator, Graduate Studies. You should have received an e-mail with your Health and Safety training requirements in advance of the start of your first semester. If not, please contact the Administrative Coordinator, Graduate Studies, Victoria Tolton.


The WatCard is your student identification card at the University of Waterloo, and is also used for signing out library books and to ride public transit. For a full list of uses, please visit the WatCard website.

Picking up your WatCard is just a few short steps away:

  1. Verifying your identity - the Watcard service staff will use your government issued photo identification to verify your identity and confirm the accuracy of your student record, then verify your enrolment status.
  2. Distributing your card - Once your identity and student status has been confirmed, the WatCard office will print your card in a few short minutes.

In order to pick up your WatCard you will need to come in person to the WatCard service counter located inside the W Store Essentials in the Student Life Centre (SLC). 

Meet your supervisor

If you are a MASc or PhD student, it is likely that you’ve been corresponding with your supervisor(s) via e-mail prior to your arrival on campus.  If you haven’t met your supervisor(s) in person, now is a good time to do so. There is a faculty and staff directory board outside the CEE Main Office (E2-2336). 

Pick up your keys (full-time MASc/PhD students only)

When you’ve completed your Health and Safety training above, fill out the Graduate Student Space Request Form (included in your Health and Safety e-mail prior to the start of your first erm) with the assistance of your supervisor. You can then submit the completed form along with your Health and Safety training documentation to the Department Assistant in E2-2336 who will assist with key allocation for your office.

As the student office spaces are shared, please be considerate of your office mates. Eating, playing loud music, and prolonged cell phone use are not permitted.

Please note that only full-time MASc and PhD students are given office space.

(How to) Log on to a UWaterloo computer

If you are a registered student and have paid your fees, you should be able to log on to any of the campus computers using your Quest user ID and password. If you are unable to log in, please contact the Engineering Computing Help Desk.

Register for your courses

Course registration is done through your Quest account. Simply follow the prompts within Quest to register for courses. Drop/Add forms may be needed to:

  • Request to audit a course or to take a course as extra to your degree.
  • Enrol in an undergraduate course.
  • Add a course after the enrollment deadline.
  • Enrol in a course that has a time conflict (e.g. overlapping meet time with another course).

Mailing list

At the beginning of the academic semester, you will receive e-mail correspondence from the Administrative Coordinator, Graduate Studies indicating that you’ve been added to the departmental graduate mailing list. If you have not been added to the graduate mailing list by the first week of classes, please contact the Administrative Coordinator.

Your UW e-mail address

The University of Waterloo will automatically send all official correspondence to your UW e-mail address, which you can set up once you've become matriculated (accepted your offer of admission and met any conditions in your offer).

Graduate student lounge

Full-time MASc and PhD students are welcome to make use of the Graduate Student Lounge, located in E2-2353. You will need a code to enter, which you can request from the Administrative Coordinator, Graduate Studies. Students are responsible to maintain the cleanliness of the common equipment in this space (microwave, refrigerator, toaster). Students should feel encouraged to report misuse of this space to the Administrative Officer.

ExpecTAtions (TA training)

If you are a MASc or PhD student and you are interested in applying for a Teaching Assistantship (TA) or Course Assistantship (CA), you must first attend the ExpecTAtions training workshop, which takes place twice annually. The Administrative Coordinator, Graduate Studies will send out information via e-mail about signing up for these workshops as information becomes available, so be sure to check your e-mail regularly. TA and CA positions are not available to students until they are in at least term two of their studies.