Jeff Casello is a Professor jointly-appointed in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and the School of Planning at the University of Waterloo. He is also the lead researcher in The Waterloo Public Transportation Initiative (WPTI), which is a UWaterloo research group that provides expertise in urban transportation planning and engineering in order to address the challenges relevant to Canadian and global cities.
Professor Casello’s primary research interest is in the development and application of quantitative models of transportation (particularly transit and non-motorized modes) system performance. He is also interested in researching the impacts of transportation investments on land use patterns and has published extensively on these topics.
Professor Casello specializes in the planning, design and operation of public transportation systems. He is the lead author (with Vukan R. Vuchic) of Transit Planning for the Institute of Transportation Engineer’s (ITE) 3rd edition of the “Transportation Planning Handbook”. In addition, he is an acknowledged contributor to two seminal texts in the field: “Urban Transit Systems and Technology” and “Urban Transit Planning, Operations and Economics”, both by Professor Vuchic.
Professionally, Professor Casello has worked as a consultant, instructor and researcher with many transit agencies in the US, Canada and abroad. These include Singapore (LTA), Washington DC (WMATA), Houston (METRO), Philadelphia (SEPTA), the Regional Municipality of Waterloo (GRT), the City of Kingston, and Mexico City (D.F.). He has also worked in the public sector for the New York State Department of Transportation.
- Public Transportation
- Urban Transportation
- Transportation Modelling
- Non-motorized modes
- Public transit and transportation planning
- Transportation Engineering
- Environmental issues and new material economies
- Alternative fuels
- Transportation networks
- Renewable energy
- Connectivity and Internet of Things
- Smart communities
- Big data/analytics
- Application domains
- 2003, Doctorate, Systems Engineering, University of Pennsylvania
- 1999, Master's, Systems Engineering, University of Pennsylvania
- 1996, Master's, Transportation Engineering, Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute
- 1992, Bachelor's, Civil Engineering Systems, University of Pennsylvania
- CIVE 484 - Phys Infrastructure Planning
- Taught in 2017
- CIVE 440 - Transit Planning & Op
- Taught in 2018, 2020
- CIVE 641 - Public Transportation
- Taught in 2018, 2020
- Nour, Akram and Hellinga, Bruce and Casello, Jeffrey, Classification of automobile and transit trips from Smartphone data: Enhancing accuracy using spatial statistics and GIS, Journal of Transport Geography, 51, 2016, 36 - 44
- Casello, Jeffrey M and Towns, Will and Bélanger, Julie and Kassiedass, Sanathan, Public Engagement in Public Transportation Projects: Challenges and Recommendations, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board(2537), 2015, 88 - 95
- Casello, Jeffrey M and Lewis, Geoffrey McD and Yeung, Kevin and Santiago-Rodríguez, Deborah, A Transit Technology Selection Model, Journal of Public Transportation, 17(4), 2014
- Casello, Jeffrey and Usyukov, Vladimir, Modeling Cyclists' Route Choice Based on GPS Data, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board(2430), 2014, 155 - 161
- Dodero, Abel and Casello, Jeffrey and Molinero, Angel and Cotera, Daniel, Evaluating Private Bus Operators' Willingness to Participate in Transit Improvements in Mexico, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board(2394), 2013, 119 - 127
- Currently considering applications from graduate students. A completed online application is required for admission; start the application process now.