Mahesh Pandey is a Civil and Environmental Engineering Professor at the University of Waterloo, as well as an Industrial Research Chair at the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC). He is an internationally recognized research professor in the field of risk management and life cycle methods.
Dr. Pandey has extensive research experience in the areas of mechanics and reliability of engineering structures. His research interests include the reliability of engineering systems, structural dynamics and passive control, estimation of the life-time distribution of an asset using inspection and surveillance data, optimum asset replacement/retirement scheduling, and the modelling of deterioration as a random process to predict failure probability over time. Other interests of Dr. Pandey’s include the derivation of information from a small sample of data, maintenance scheduling given the life-time distribution of an asset, and cost-benefit analysis of risk management programs.
The specific goals of his research program are to advance the probabilistic analysis techniques for estimating reliability and remaining life of critical systems, structures and components. Dr. Pandey is also developing models and tools for optimizing inspection, maintenance and life-cycle management strategies, and a general, plant-level risk management model to integrate both engineering and business risks.
As a result of his work, Dr. Pandey has received several awards and honours. He was the recipient of the Premier’s Research Excellence Award for the Province of Ontario in 2003, as well as the UWaterloo Faculty of Engineering Distinguished Performance Award in 1999 and 2002. Additionally in 1998, Dr. Pandey was presented with the Governor General of Canada’s Gold Medal.
- Risk analysis
- Reliability engineering
- Stochastic processes
- Life-cycle management
- Maintenance optimization
- Ultrasonic inspection
- Condition assessment
- Probabilistic system identification
- Mechanics & Construction
- 1992, Doctorate, Civil Engineering, University of Waterloo
- 1988, Master of Applied Science, Civil Engineering, University of Waterloo
- 1986, Bachelor's, Civil Engineering, Bhopal University
- CIVE 601 - Engineering Risk and Reliability
- Taught in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Wang, Zhaoliang and Xie, Wei-Chau and Pandey, MD, Computationally Efficient Vector-Valued Seismic Risk Analysis of Engineering Structures, Journal of Structural Engineering, 2016
- Jyrkama, Mikko I and Pandey, Mahesh D, On the separation of aleatory and epistemic uncertainties in probabilistic assessments, Nuclear Engineering and Design, 303, 2016, 68 - 74
- Pandey, Mahesh, Technical Basis of a Probabilistic Method for PT-CT Contact Assessment, , 2016
- Balomenos, Georgios P and Pandey, Mahesh D, Finite element reliability and sensitivity analysis of structures using the multiplicative dimensional reduction method, Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, 2016, 1 - 13
- Jyrkama, Mikko I and Bickel, Grant A and Pandey, Mahesh D, Statistical analysis and modelling of in-reactor diametral creep of Zr-2.5 Nb pressure tubes, Nuclear Engineering and Design, 300, 2016, 241 - 248